MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Knife Making Discussions > Fine Embellishment

Fine Embellishment Everything from hand engraving and scrimshaw to filework and carving. The fine art end of the knifemaker's craft.

Old 06-07-2005, 08:48 PM
Living Legend

blade show 2005

another blade show goes down into the history books and it was a good one and again for another year it was great meeting every body and talking engraving methods . this year dinner meeting was also great there where a lot of new faces this year.. after dinner we all sat around and show off some of our work simond lyton joined us this year along with a lot of other new faces. i had a great time and learned some new tricks lee griffith was kind enough to show me some new ways to engrave hair on animals.. i do hope every body had a good time and i am looking forward to next years dinner meeting. o bye the way lee did behave he didnt thro any mashed spuds .. ron

Old 06-07-2005, 09:49 PM
Guru

I'll second Ron's observation.
One of the best Blade Shows I've attended.
It was great meeting new forum members, and I hope it just keeps growing!

It never ceases to amaze me how much technical information is passed around in just a few short days.
There's never a time when I don't feel inspired to get to work on a new idea after the show.

Dinner on Saturday was a great time, and I hope everyone attending felt that way as well.
You know, after the first days of the show, our dinner is sort of a relief-valve for me, and a way to put it all in perspective.

Even though we're at the show hawking our wares, it's the fellowship, and get-togethers that make shows memorable.

Thanks all, for a good time!

Tim

Old 06-08-2005, 01:27 AM
Steel Addict

I'll thirds that!! As a newcomer, you all made me feel quite at home. I walked into my first ever Knife Show, not knowing what to expect, and I was received with gratious friends. I learned quite a lot from you engravers, and have thought about new projects since. I appreciate the time each of you took to converse with me, and I hope I was not too much of an imposition. You all have excellent workmanship in your creations, and I enjoyed thoroughly the chance to hold and see up close what it is I am striving to achieve with my engravings. Each of you has strong features that sets you apart from your compadres, and that's what makes the world go around.

I want to thank Ron Nott for the mass of rubber molds he left at the dinner. Everyone took a few, but there was still a slew of them left, so I scarfed them up. Jim Small gave me a little sample plate he was demonstrating on at the GRS booth, and thanks for that Jim. I'll try to glean something useful from it. And my only purchase at the Show was a cast of the Bear Plate from Lee at the GRS Booth. I've remembered that plate ever since I first saw it last year, and I am so glad to have it to share with everyone I've tried to describe it to. It already has raised many eyebrows at work. Lots of OOHs and AAHs. The BAR has been raised way up there for me. Someday I hope to approach it.

All in all, I must say that knives are knives, but the Engravers and the Knifemakers are really fine people. And this bunch is a group of true gentlemen.

Thanks.

Mark Greenbaum
MG in Nashville, TN
Old 06-08-2005, 07:14 AM
Steel Addict

I am quite proud of my restraint. I was sitting on the end and the way people were lined up I figure I could have nailed 5 or 6 with one spoon flip. It was great to put faces with names finally and everyone was about as expected: gracious, fun, and down to earth. I picked up a few tips and I'm excited to try them. Thanks everyone.
Old 06-08-2005, 08:07 AM
Founding Member / Moderator

Send a message via AIM to Don Cowles
What a good time it was! My thanks to all of you.

Don Cowles Custom Knives

Old 06-08-2005, 07:48 PM

Wonderful show....

We need to add a little color to this thread.......therefore, here are Don and Ron.

I think everyone had a great time....It was great to visit with Lee G. and Ron, Andy and Tim and the others who join us each and every day here on the forum.
Mark it was great to have you with us....I don't care what the others say....you ain't kin to Dennis....your much better looking.
Thanks to all for a great time....a special thanks to Don Cowles and Tim Adlam / Kelley for dropping by before the show.....!
One thing that is bothering me is.....I didn't get to spend more time with Ray Cover and his wife....some really nice folks.

Old 06-08-2005, 08:03 PM
Steel Addict

Hot-lanta in 2006

Thanks Ron, you are right of course. We are probably not related, unless we can dig back about 100 years or better. And thanks for sharing the lovely guitar you made; sorry if all the bystanders wanted to put their grubby hands on it. I did not for 2 reasons - I respect other people's musical instruments, and if I'd played it you have to destroy it, 'cause I don't play worth a darn.

I really liked the fact that so many of you folks have so many diverse talents. I seem to be a jack of many, and master of none. But I hope that will change with more practice, and more planning. I hope to have a few beauties to show off next year (my wife and kids ).

See you in Hot-lanta next year.

Mark in Nashville
[SIZE=1]
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Dennis-&-Me---web.jpg (44.9 KB, 218 views)
Old 06-08-2005, 09:25 PM
Master

Well, I will jump in here and agree it was a great show. Really enjoyed the dinner and talking engraving. I hope the new engravers got all of their questions answered.

Joe

Old 06-09-2005, 04:50 PM
Registered

I should like to add a personal THANK YOU to each and every one of you guys who attended the Show. Angela and I thoroughly enjoyed meeting everyone in person and were amazed by the warmth and willingness to share information, exhibited by each of you. Not only are you guys Masters of your Art, but you really are a pretty cool bunch to hang out with too!

Andre Els

Last edited by aels; 06-09-2005 at 04:53 PM.
Old 06-09-2005, 06:47 PM
Master

Wow! finally home and unpacked and finally sitting on my rump again. Whew!

The show was a great time. I have pics of the dinner and as soon as I find my camera I will post them. The food was great. I mean great! That Adlam guy can pick 'em. I never have figured out how a guy that thin can be so good at finding the best eatting spots in any town. I have learned to follow Tim and Kelly out the show door at the end of the day

I really enjoyed meeting some new folks. I have not seen Andy in years and I enjoyed talking fishing with Mike Webb. I got to meet Mark and Lee and I enjoyed getting to know both of them. Of course, Lee and Linda had more toys at the GRS booth I had to have.

Jim, next year I may have to stay a day late or get there a day early to visit you. I have been wantng to see how you cut those wonderful floral grid backgrounds.

We truly are a fortunate bunch. I grew up in the knife community and I have always been impressed with how gratious, kind, and helpful most knife people are. Of course, every society has its jerks and anti-socials but most of the folks in the knife world are good folks. Every show I end up talking to my table neighbors and thinking that they would make really nice neighbors back home.

Ray

ray@rcoverengraving.com
Old 06-09-2005, 10:21 PM
Guru

Ray,
[Secret to maintaining my high school physique these days is a combo of pork rinds, beer and sharp cheddar cheese.
Once every week or two...a nice charcoal grilled/hickory smoked marbled steak, with a crispy baked potato smothered in
real butter!...Holy Waughhh!...that's sum punkin's ]

When I travel far from home...part of my experience is based upon whether or not I've enjoyed good cookin', and
more importantly...great company.
Kelly and I had that in spades during our visit to Georgia...thank you, everyone!

Story Time...Back in the day...I worked as a bus boy/dishwasher...then up to chef status, running my own restaurant kitchen and staff.
It's a stressfull 24/7 business, and I can appreciate what it takes to maintain a great team.
I recognized "Old Mill" staff members that I met year's before...that tells me something about the high-quality of management.
The staff at the Old Mill Steakhouse were not only gracious and accomodating, but they made me feel like one of their own.
[We ate there 3 nights in a row...yep, I'm a glutton!... ]

I've heard of some great eats to be had in Atlanta, but we're fortunate to have a five-star restaurant within walking distance
from the Blade Show that would put up with the likes of us!

We truly are fortunate Ray...my only regret is that it's another year wait before we can experience this memorable get-together once again.
It was so much fun...I hope we make it a standing tradition.

Tim

Last edited by Tim Adlam; 06-09-2005 at 10:25 PM.
Old 06-09-2005, 10:57 PM
Super Moderator

Send a message via AIM to Ed Caffrey Send a message via Yahoo to Ed Caffrey
Tim: Just wanted to say how nice it was to meet you in person at the show. In the few short minutes we spoke I learned a great deal. Look for many questions from this aspiring engraver when I get back from GRS the last week in July. I have a feeling that this is going to be me...... :confused: :confused: :confused:

Caffreyknives@gmail.com

"Every CHOICE has a CONSEQUENCE, and all your CONSEQUENCES are a result of your CHOICES."
Old 06-09-2005, 11:13 PM
Steel Addict

Tim, and others:

I do have one regret regarding the dinner. I had envisioned a get-together with a banquet style seating arrangement (you know where everyone sits at large round tables, and can talk to others more freely). Dennis & I arrived last, and were seated way down on the end, and hardly even knew who else was attending. We did have a great dinner, and conversations with Lynda & Lee, but I had hoped for some real IAHE talks to be sparked. I have so many questions about the new organization, and really wanted the dinner to be a kick-off to that group.

Perhaps when an appropriate time has arrived for the unveiling of the new Association, such a dinner can be arranged for all to attend? If this happens, please count me in, no matter where it occurs. Thanks, again for great conversations, and many insights.

THE Novice in Nashville
MG
Old 06-09-2005, 11:25 PM
Guru

Ditto Ed,

We have a chair with your name on it waiting for you!

There's plenty of talent around here to work you through most problems.
For hands-on training, that requires a visit...ahhh, umhhh...how's the deer/elk huntin' yer way?...

[Never miss an opportunity is my motto... ]

Tim

Last edited by Tim Adlam; 06-10-2005 at 01:09 AM.
Old 06-10-2005, 12:12 AM
Guru

Hey Mark,

Being "fashionably late" don't wash with this group!
Seven means 7...[lot's-o-hungry people...dontch-ya-know]
Get Dennis to move faster next time...

My wife Kelly announced that everyone stand and acknowledge themselves for others that didn't know each other.
You guys missed it.

BTW...Lee isn't that bad of a person to sit next to. Although I strategacally placed Andre between him and me just in case he
flipped out with a pile of mashed potatos...sorry Andre...

Where we're seated as a large group isn't in our control, but everyone's free to mingle about after dinner, and the
restaurant staff was made aware that we had that room until the last dog was hung.

Considering that we only get a once-a-year chance to network like this...no one should feel self-concious about
mingling around...hell, it's appreciated!

The key is...get there early...buy me dinner and drinks...and you'll get a primo spot!...

Tim

Tags
balisong, blade, butterfly knife, knife, knives