MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Knife Making Discussions > Fine Embellishment

Fine Embellishment Everything from hand engraving and scrimshaw to filework and carving. The fine art end of the knifemaker's craft.

Old 05-03-2005, 11:36 AM
Enthusiast

What Engraver to get

Greeting's all can someone Please recomend a "Engraving System " i was looking at a N Graver . i would very much like to Play with this a bit and see if i can develop a hand for it .im open to any and all recomendation's .
Old 05-03-2005, 11:46 AM
Living Legend

first i would recomend a steve lindsay classic it is the best of them all, next the grs equipment is also a good choice . and i would not recomend any thing else . you want some thing that is easy to controll and not have to struggle with and some thing that feels good in your hand . these engraver systems where designed to simulate the original engravers . ron

Old 05-03-2005, 03:16 PM
Steel Addict

I would totally agree with Ron. I have tried all these and Linsay is the best. I wouldn't recommend the N-graver at all. I used to own one.

You may never hear surf music again.
Old 05-03-2005, 04:38 PM
Enthusiast

RIGHT TOOL TO BUY? By JohnB.

Respectfully, I must disagree with Mr. Nott when he dismisses the Ngraver system for a
starting engraver. It is a reasonably priced, quiet and versatile tool system, and does not require the purchace of an air compressor.
This tool is capable of fantastic work in the right hands. Please see the engraving of Jerry Whitmore as shown on Page 192-193 of Tom Turpin's fine book "Custom Firearms Engraving"
Jerry uses the Ngraver for all his work. It was my great pleasure to mentor him during his developing years. He was a natural. Highly inteligent, persistant and made quick progress. He attained FEGA professional status upon his first application.
I am fortunate to have most engraving systems, Lindsay Classic, GRS GraverMax, Gravermeister, System 3, Ngraver Magnagraver and Varigraver together with hammer and push tools. All of these are needed for for instruction purpose.
But any one of them are capable of doing excellent engraving work in the hands of a dedicated and persistant student of the art.
I have no axe to grind in the sale or purchase of different types or brands of tools. On a world wide basis, we need to remember that some of the finest engravers turn out their masterpieces using very simple, inexpensive tools.
Thanks for posting your Egg knife, Ron. I have enjoyed and learned from seeing all of the follow up, especially the photography tips. Thanks to those folks who posted them.
Old 05-03-2005, 05:41 PM
Steel Addict

I have to agree with John. I have the Gravemister and NgraveR I enjoy using both. A caddy is nice but some of us start out at the rambler level some stay with the orginal purchases. I will probally keep both pieces of equipment regardless of new purchases. Start in your economical comfort zone You will find that there a good number of top engravers still using a hammer. I do often even though I am only a couple of years into this. Fred
Old 05-03-2005, 06:50 PM
Steel Addict

My 2 cents......
I personally own the Lindsay Airgraver and I would rather cut off my arm than to go back to my old system...but.....Someone who is experimenting to see if this is something they want to do probably can't afford the GRS system or the AirGraver. I spent $400 on a Foredom Powergraver to start out and it got me going. I soon realized I needed better equipment to accomplish the type of engraving I had in mind though and so I upgraded. But I was also sure I was going to stick with it.

Old 05-03-2005, 07:31 PM
Steel Addict

Ngraver is a perfectly fine cutting machine if it setup correctly in relation to your vise, and you get used to the spool up, spool down time of the flex shaft. Once you get used to that its a great cutting thing.
Old 05-03-2005, 07:56 PM
Guru

Work within your budget.
An AirGraver or Gravermax are serious tool investments, and are not what I'd recommend for "testing the water", so to speak.
A Foredom or NGraver would be a more economical way to get the feel for power-assist engraving.

I personally would suggest becoming familiar with the hammer and chisel as well.
Time spent learning to coordinate the use of the hammer/chisel combo will serve you well, no matter what engraving system
you eventually graduate to.

Tim

Old 05-03-2005, 08:52 PM
Enthusiast

Amen!

Mr. Adlam hit it right on the nose!
Some time spent with the hammer and chisel, before or after you purchace power is pure
gold! You learn the basics.
The Ngraver system is a fine first place to start with power equipment. Even if you move on, the rotary shaft is something you will need during your engraveng career. If you're just starting, get the $5 book from Ngraver too. Lots of good, simple stuff.
I wish you the best of luck and and lots of enjoyment with your engraving adventure.

JohnB.
Old 05-03-2005, 11:35 PM
Steel Addict

I am using the System 3 for now, couldn't afford anything else at the time. Just getting to feel comfortable with it now. After watching this group a few years and hearing all the rave reviews of the Gravermeister and the Lindsey Graver, I can't wait to try them out. Maybe this is the best way to do it. Don't get ahead of yourself. Like an apprenticeship, get comfortable with the basics first and then, if you're lucky and know an engraver near you that has something more advanced to work with, see if they will let you try it out. If you think you have gone as far as you can with the basics, I can only imagine what a Lindsey classic could do for your confidence.

Old 05-04-2005, 12:37 AM
Guru

John and J.W. make a reference to the "adventure", or discovery process involved with this vocation.

If you've read the archives here on this forum, hopefully you come away with an impression that this is a group of passionate...
[...although sometimes volatile]...bunch of individuals.

We love to talk about our artform.
...And we hope anyone who shows interest...want's to taste and feel that passion as well.

The adventure is not only about technical acheivement...it has more to do with the thread of one's life.
The connecting links we make...the fellowship...wouldn't happen if we had taken another path.

We're competitors for sure, but those that are secure in their minds about their own artistic individuality...
willingly share techniques, and life-lessons to assist this brotherhood of artists.

Collectively, we want acknowedgement in the historical perspective of engraving art, and we're dedicated to seeing
that our day will come...in our lifetime.

So, when a new person wants to test the water, we're there to overwhelm you with our [well intentioned] passion!

I'm just letting you know what you're in for ...

Tim

Old 05-04-2005, 09:24 AM
Steel Addict

You might also want to read the testimonials from Lindsay's site. It has comments from beginners as well as pros. It is: http://www.airgraver.com/feedback.htm

You may never hear surf music again.
Old 05-04-2005, 10:01 AM
Enthusiast

Gentlemen
First i must Thank all of you!
i am a very "Stubborn " s.o.b when my mind is made up and im pretty sure i can learn to engrave a little bit . i don't have any idea how deep i will go but im not afraid .The response here is Great and i must say a big Thank You to everyone who responded .i guess a N graver or Foredom is how i learn how to crawl which i don't mind .after a few year's maybe il be able to walk.

now all i need to know is how do you guy's learn to draw the scroll's ect onto the metal ?
i think from there it becomes trial and error correct ?
Old 05-04-2005, 11:15 AM
Living Legend

I am not an engraver but i believe the old adage is true,buy the best tool you can afford.High quality tools have high resale values if you need to part with them.

Old 05-04-2005, 11:33 AM
Enthusiast

Scrolls on Metal, getting started.

To Pinoyknife.
If you will send me an address through an Email to johnbar120@aol.com I will send you some sheets with the details of simple, entry level transfers. I'll also send you some sheets of transferable scrolls for your practice cutting.
Bye the way, Tom White has a great new system of transfer with incredable detail. You might not need it for very early work though. For that, simple acetone transfer will work just fine. Later, get Tom's system.
Ngraver has a set of templates for drawing scroll. These are all good aids to train your eye in what a decent, smooth and round appearing scroll should look like.
But there is no substitute for learning to draw these shapes yourself in the long run. Practice drawing as much as cutting metal at first. If you learn to draw a decent scroll backbone first, much of the other detail will fall into place.
I hope this will be some help to get you started.
JohnB.

Tags
knife