MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Knife Making Discussions > Fine Embellishment

Fine Embellishment Everything from hand engraving and scrimshaw to filework and carving. The fine art end of the knifemaker's craft.

Old 08-11-2005, 03:35 PM
Super Moderator

Send a message via AIM to Ed Caffrey Send a message via Yahoo to Ed Caffrey
Learning to stumble......

Did I ever get a rude awakening this week. I've been practicing on practice plates for a couple of hours every night for the last month or so, and got to feeling pretty good about my progress. This week I got the bright idea to try a simple border around a mild steel buttcap for a Bowie that is bound for the BAKCA show. Now, 5 butcaps later, I've realized that there is a world of difference engraving on a nice flat surface versus working on a constant radius. I would either barely scratch the material, or drive the graver "armpit deep" into the material. I kept telling myself that I'll figure it out.......but at this point I think I'll go back to the practice plates for a while....just to rebuild my confidence. MUCH more practice is needed before I try to tackle that again.

Caffreyknives@gmail.com

"Every CHOICE has a CONSEQUENCE, and all your CONSEQUENCES are a result of your CHOICES."
Old 08-11-2005, 04:03 PM
Enthusiast

Ed, been there, done that. Got disgusted, quit, started back, finally understood that it takes a LOT of work to become halfway good. I'll get there, you will too. Keep on cuttin'. I've got a bracelet all planned for my daughter's college grad next summer, just hope I can get it done without screwing up.

Old 08-11-2005, 08:26 PM
Guru

Ed,
A couple of things that you should concentrate on is getting more control of your depth of cut,
and become more aware of how the graver is approaching that cut.

Picture Time...

Try to envision the cut [even on a curved surface] as you would be engraving on a flat plate.
The only area that you're concerned with is the metal in front of the graver.
Use the tilting advantage of your engravers vise to keep the cutting action close to the line-of-sight with your stereoscope.
Also when cutting border lines, a longer heel length is a big help in keeping you on track, and it
reduces that "porpoising" action of the graver.

Keep at it...there's more adventure ahead...

Tim

Old 08-11-2005, 09:10 PM
Enthusiast

Talking

Ed,

If you want to cut flat surfaces...........practice on flat surfaces
If you want to cut curved surfaces......practice on curved surfaces
If you want to cut steel......................practice on steel
If you want to cut stainless.................practice on stainless
If you want to cut gold.......................practice on gold

etc. etc. etc.

The disciplines and methods of attack are differnt for everything you do....

j.c.
Old 08-11-2005, 10:48 PM
Skilled

Ed if you haven't seen Sam Alfano's sharpening video I would suggest getting a copy it is well worth it. It will save you so much aggravation.
J.C. how true I was told the same thing when learning jewelry and diamond setting.
If you want to learn to set diamonds....Practice with diamonds
ect. ect. ect
Tim Great picture. I have a hard time with 1/2 round wedding bands there a little tricky for me.
Mike C.
Old 08-12-2005, 08:27 AM
Living Legend

hi ed .. tim did a great job telling you how it should be done . what i do when i am engraving a colt barrel or cylinder is each time i go forward i tell my self that i also must raise the back of my hand and also like tim said tilt your vise so it is more on a level plain .. ron

Old 08-12-2005, 09:21 AM
Super Moderator

Send a message via AIM to Ed Caffrey Send a message via Yahoo to Ed Caffrey
Thanks for the encouragement folks! It'll come....I just have many more years of learning ahead of me.

Ron.... I was looking at that photo and just thinking how much more of a respect I have developed for the skill and quality that goes into a scene of that nature. I can remember a time when I would glance at engraving and think "That's nice." but now I find myself studying every cut, and trying to envision how each was achieved........funny how that happens, we often times don't pay a great deal of attention to something until it becomes a priority for us.
(Gotta be a lesson in that somewhere)

Caffreyknives@gmail.com

"Every CHOICE has a CONSEQUENCE, and all your CONSEQUENCES are a result of your CHOICES."
Old 08-12-2005, 04:46 PM
Steel Addict

Hi Ed,
I hot glue my knives to a piece of round aluminum bar 1.75" Dia. x 5" Long or so that has a flat milled on it. It works out real well for engraving on my knives. Because it is round I can rotate it in the vise to put the area I'm working on perpendicular to the scope. That way my hand is not trying to go way over the top to reach the areas that are away from me. I also put a block under the aluminum to make it easier to clamp and unclamp the workpiece without loosing the height adjustment.

Old 08-12-2005, 04:57 PM
Skilled

Andy that looks like a great knife. The engraving looks suppurb. Please post when it's done.
Mike Cirelli
Old 08-13-2005, 02:45 AM
Enthusiast

Hi Andy (and All, of course),
How do you get rid of the rests of hot glue that might remain stuck on your piece?
Regards, Fernando.
Old 08-13-2005, 07:06 AM
Steel Addict

I just spray some alcohol on the glue and give a little tug. Amazing how easy it seperates. There is nothing left on the knife. Some hot glue sticks don't release as well. Use the sticks that are more white/clear in color verses the amber/yellowish colored sticks. I put down a good layer of the glue then stick the knife on it and then run a bead all the way around as well. If you wait until the glue is good and hot you won't have to worry about it coming off. If the glue isn't quite hot enough it begins to set before you apply the knife to it and the bond won't be as secure.

Old 08-14-2005, 01:38 PM
Enthusiast

Andy
I like the setup, engraving and the inlay. It looks like the opposite end is cut for the inlay but you haven't put it in yet? I'd like to see a closeup before you do the inlay if possible (on a separate thread). Also what type of vise is that? It looks like a small self centering machine vise, very compact and ridgid.
Thanks

Old 08-14-2005, 04:03 PM
Steel Addict

When I first decided to try my hand at engraving I didn't wish to spend a fortune on equipment. I wasn't sure it would all work out for me. So I built my own vise, being a tool and diemaker. I built a dove tailed slide into it for the y axis movement. I just unclamp the vise and move the workpiece in the x axis direction. Rather than create a giant ball for tilting I attached a trailer hitch ball to the bottom and worked out a cheap and dirty system to clamp it when in position. I never move it now. And obviously It rotates. It isn't much to look at but it serves my needs. I figured I would purchase a GRS positioning vise at some point but here it is 10 years later and I can't find a good reason to spend the money now. When I get a chance I will post some photos of the knife.

Last edited by Andy S; 08-14-2005 at 04:05 PM.
Old 08-14-2005, 04:45 PM
Master

Andy, thanks for posting the picture on the round aluminum bar. That is a great ideal. I do a lot of dome shaped knives and think this will help me. I have been hot gluing to wood blocks and think I will try a large wooden dowel.

Joe

Tags
knife, knives