MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Knife Making Discussions > Fine Embellishment

Fine Embellishment Everything from hand engraving and scrimshaw to filework and carving. The fine art end of the knifemaker's craft.

Old 08-08-2005, 08:59 PM
Enthusiast

Somewhat OT

I know this is somewhat off topic, but I play with a little glass engraving with the rotary tool to break the monotony of the practice sessions learning to do what I call real engraving, and I'm sure somewhere in the wealth of knowledge out there is an answer. Does anyone have any knowledge about engraving tempered glass, such as is used in the side and rear windows of modern autos? All my friend in the glass business could tell me is that it could shatter under the right conditions. Any advice, or sources of info?

Old 08-08-2005, 11:52 PM
Steel Addict

In past years (early 80's-mid 90's) I used a foredom tool with diamond dental burs and cut a lot of scenes and names in hot rod windsheilds and windows, as well as tour bus windsheilds and mirrors for some of the custom coach manufacturing guys in Nashville. I don't know of any cracking from my efforts ever throughout that time.

I would not hesitate to do it on any of my cars, and have such plans for several of them... if I ever hit the lottery and can afford to spend such time on my own stuff.... oh to be one the idle rich.
Old 08-09-2005, 07:13 AM
Enthusiast

Thanks for the info. Reason I was concerned was there was a guy in the local town some years ago that tried engraving some business entrance doors and after having a couple fall out in a million pieces gave it up as a bad idea. Probably something to do with getting the glass too hot in one spot. Anyway, got me a piece of tempered glass and gonna give it a try. Thanks.

Old 08-09-2005, 10:02 AM
Steel Addict

I have been in the sign business for many years and from my experience with tempered glass I would say forget it! There is a much better and safe alternative. There is a computer-cut vinyl film that once applied looks exactly like an etched design. Gerber makes a nice version of it. I currently have a 10 yard roll of it and the computer to cut it.

You may never hear surf music again.
Old 08-09-2005, 05:46 PM
Enthusiast

Well there you are, one vote for, one against. I did call SCM, the people I bought the tool from, and all they really told me was to use only the diamond burs since all you want is a surface etch, and to be sure to leave a nice wide border of untouched glass. Guess I'll play with the piece of glass I got, but I'll think a while before I consider doing someone's car, unless I can talk them into a liability release. Cheers.

Old 08-09-2005, 08:43 PM
Steel Addict

Goatwhiskers:

I have an acquaintance who was also a teacher at the Eastern Federation of Gem & Mineral Societies Wildacres Retreats, and he would cut glass objects for our fundraising auction. He would do these objects while in motel rooms on the trip to NC. They were usually goblets, or decanters, etc. He would use only a diamond tipped stylus, and basically scrimshaw the designs into the surface. He did break a couple over many years of doing this, but mainly from the transporting of the objects while on his travels from OK to NC.

Powercrafter's website show glass being engraved (etched), as well as GRS'. Contact them and see if they have any recommendations. Just a comment and thought. Also: Isn't auto glass safety laminated (2 layers with a plastic film between)?

Mark in Nashville, TN
Old 08-10-2005, 06:56 AM
Enthusiast

Mark, according to my glass guy, for several years autos have only used safety (laminated) glass in the windshield and tempered glass for everything else, hence my concern. According to my very limited research, there is probably a market for personalizing vehicles with engraved glass, but if I have to be worried about the glass falling out because of something I did then I have second thoughts. Need more info. Thanks, guys.

Old 08-10-2005, 07:58 AM

Goatwhiskers, Back in the 70s-80s I had a custom van shop in CA and I actually did engrave quite a few vehicles windshields, sideglass, vent windows (they still had them back then). I did my cuts with a vibrating tip dremel with diamond point and added shading with the rotary. Most of these were done with at least a 1.5 to 2 inch border from the edge of the glass. Some of the show vans lead regular lives on the roads of CA and to my knowledge none of them ever broke or showed signs of cracking, etc. And that was even over the hot CA summers. It would not be a bad idea in these days of too many lawyers looking for something to do, to get a release from the customers. Now I wouldn't try to use a carbide tip and a planishing hammer to do the engravings though...*smile
Just my 2 cents.
Rod

Tags
blade, forge