MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Knife Making Discussions > Fine Embellishment

Fine Embellishment Everything from hand engraving and scrimshaw to filework and carving. The fine art end of the knifemaker's craft.

Old 07-14-2005, 11:12 AM
Guru

Lee Griffiths Portrait Engraving

I asked Lee to send me images of some of the fine portrait work that he's noted for.
Here's just a small sample of diverse objects that Lee applies his talent to.
Enjoy!

Custom Bruce Bowen trap gun-South Dakota theme [work in progress]

Funerary Urn

"Ticket Man" Hobo Nickel Engraving

"Sleeping Hobo" Hobo Nickel Engraving
Old 07-14-2005, 03:52 PM
Founding Member / Moderator

Send a message via AIM to Don Cowles
Cool stuff!

Don Cowles Custom Knives

Old 07-14-2005, 07:11 PM
Steel Addict

Here is a scan of a casting made by Lee. I picked this up at the Blade Show in June. I think it as an awesome example of his bulino work.

Old 07-14-2005, 07:15 PM
Master

Very nice Lee.

Joe

Old 07-14-2005, 11:54 PM
Skilled

Very impressive work Lee.. I'm really starting to like the engraved nickels.. Ray C. posted a few several months back and it was the first time I had ever heard of them..Best, Rich
Old 07-15-2005, 07:29 AM
Steel Addict

Lee, your work on the Bowen Trap represents a pinnacle of engraving design and execution. The open flowing scrollwork is reminscent of the open countryside, interwoven with feathers and wheat heads as part of the scroll are wonderful touches to theme based engraving. You are finally putting all the art backgound together with enough expereince in classic gun engraving now to really break the molds and do the stunning pieces like this. I think you are hitting your stride so to speak with art at this level. No doubt you have a Best of Show winner at FEGA next year. This work is truly at the Master level in every respect. I can't wait to see the finished piece.

Thanks for showing it Tim.

And some afterthoughts, for some of you beginners out there. Lee has not been engraving that long, 7-8 years maybe? But Lee applied himself to art and was not afraid to ask questions, and go back and do it. Lee brought himself out to FEGA and soaked up the seminars and soaked up the advice all around the show and went back and DID it. Maybe not right the first time, but he DID it again. There is a wondeful synergy and sharing when engravers get together, whether at FEGA, or Blade or you name the show, or even this board, and it then becomes the individuals responsibility to just DO it, to steal a phrase from Nike. The biggest problem I see with beginners , once they have taken a basic class somewhere is they have the mechanical skills the need to engrave, they just need to do it enough (i.e., practice it enough) till those skills flow out naturally from the hands, muscle memory, as they use in the sports world. I am often asked by new engravers , "What do I need to do to improve?", and they answer is nearly always, just practice. They already have the skills they need, they just need to use those skills till they become natural. Soooo just do it you guys. Do it , do it , do it, until you ....GitR dun!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited by pilkguns; 07-15-2005 at 07:35 AM.
Old 07-15-2005, 08:16 PM
Skilled

Very nice work on the trap gun I hope you post it when its done. Lee you are very talented. Is the gun done in a bulino style I can't tell.
I don't know if you guys know that Lee's carver was selected for the reverse of the 2005 Original Hobo Nickel Society's annual hobo nickel token. These coins are minted by the Gallery Mint Museum in Arkansas in limited quanity evry year. This is the first year that it was open to all carvers. My carving was selected for the obverse. Here is a link to check it out if you want.
http://www.hobonickels.org/tokens.htm

Mike Cirelli
Old 07-15-2005, 08:38 PM
Living Legend

lee... great work as always keep posting any new work you do it is a pleasure to see it .. ron

Old 07-16-2005, 08:28 AM
Enthusiast

Lee,
Very outstanding work, as usual!!!
S.Dunn
Old 07-16-2005, 11:40 AM
Steel Addict

Thanks for showing Lee's work Tim. That is a stunningly beautiful design and execution.

Thanks for your post Pilkguns. You hit the nail on the head for sure!

Lack of focused practice is my greatest weakness. In survival mode, it is easy to do just what you have to do in front of you. Thankfully, the desire to improve has allowed me to progress in the areas that I have been getting work, but the areas I'm not getting to do I must really work on as a skill development project.

The reason i took the job at Turnbull restoration was to get more gun engraving time in. Even though i do a lot of recutting, I am learning a lot. Even though some of the work is rough, i try to smooth it out where i can, and am learning about what DOESN'T look good, which can be useful too.

The requirement to do some inlay, to recut English scroll, to occasionally design some original work, although it usualy must be in a 19th century context, has helped progress in those areas, which i seldom did before. I feel like i am getting out of the rut at last!

If I don't pursue more of an art education on my own,I will never come close to Lee's work, with respect to artistic value.

I also get to see a lot of great engraving when it comes to the shop for bluing or case coloring. I got a chance to look at a revolver that Winston Chruchill did. I have seen work by some of you folks here. Very inspiring, and it helps me want to get better.

Thanks to all for your encouragement and inspiration!

Fighting the good fight of raising 5 kids, home schooling, putting food on the table, and getting better as an engraver!

Tom
Old 07-17-2005, 01:10 AM
Steel Addict

Mike asked whether what I am doing is bulino. Dunno.........I have struggled with a precise definition of bulino. I have sometimes wondered whether a panacea is sought after in the form of a specific tool or technique. Drawing and design is a rigorous mental excercise and technique will usually be unable to fully mask a flawed design or shading that does not create the illusion of form. Any training in art fundamentals, especially design and light and shade should be considered. When I approach a project whether I use a line or a dot is a secondary consideration. I have always believed that first and foremost is location. Regardless of the type of mark I use (line or dot) if it is not placed properly the engraving will not look right. Some engravers are wonderfully organized, disciplined and able to prethink and plan their engravings. They have a system, method, or process they use for various objects (feathers, grass, fur). I suppose I do for some things........ most of the time, but I'm hesitant to lock myself into a specific pattern. Ultimately we are all striving to go beyond and create moods and texture and feeling. Sometimes I feel like a dot will work best and sometimes I go for a line or a combination. This probably makes no sense but what can one expect from an Idaho farmboy.
Old 07-17-2005, 06:48 AM
Skilled

Well what ever Lee looks like you got you Ducks in order on this one. Great depth, nice layout and design. I really like it.
Mike Cirelli
Old 07-17-2005, 11:10 AM
Guru

I just happen to have a photo of Lee, taken during our "05 Blade Show dinner get-together.

Old 07-17-2005, 03:46 PM
Steel Addict

Methinks I was contemplating the logistics and consequences of a food fight

Tags
blade, knife