MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Knife Making Discussions > Fine Embellishment

Fine Embellishment Everything from hand engraving and scrimshaw to filework and carving. The fine art end of the knifemaker's craft.

Old 06-30-2005, 10:01 PM
Skilled

ebay faceting machine

i found a faceting machine listed on ebay,good for flat lapping pearl,stones,etc. listed as an optical facetor,but is actually a Graves mark IV faceter. could be converted to sharpen gravers,or whatever.

ebay faceting machine
Old 06-30-2005, 11:02 PM
Steel Addict

The Graves faceting machines accept 1/4" dia. dowel (dop) sticks; and this is the diameter of the GRS Quick Change adapters. If you pre-mount your gravers into GRS Quick Change collets, you can use the machine to make very precise grinds, fine grinds, and polished faces. You'll have to convert the Index Gear settings to degrees, and keep a chart handy. And you'll have to rig a way to setup the collets to zero out (notch in collet facing the ZERO on te Index Gear).

I discovered this feature when I noticed my Sapphire Faceting Machine had the same diameter dops as the collets. It's a bit of overkill, but if the price is right, and it comes with wheels, you cannot do any better. And you could learn to facet gemstones, too.

Mark in Nashville, TN

Professional Faceter, and Lapidary, and aspiring Hand-Engraver