MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Knife Making Discussions > Fine Embellishment

Fine Embellishment Everything from hand engraving and scrimshaw to filework and carving. The fine art end of the knifemaker's craft.

Old 05-24-2005, 09:49 PM
Steel Addict

Big Austin,
I do hope I can meet you when I come to you country in acouple of months. Its funny you are asking about American/European engraving, and I am very interested in the Chinese engraving. I have some chinese engraving tools that I bought when I was in Shanghai two years ago, and I think the Chinese engraving style is very unique and attactive.
Old 05-30-2005, 12:25 AM
Enthusiast

2 more cents - I've read a lot of threads on this and other forums - and they all say the same thing:

USE POWER TOOLS! They all say that using power is a LOT easier, faster, better, etc. It takes "a long time" to get profiicient with hand tools compared with power (their words, not mine) - and then after using hand tools you will then go out and buy the power tools! Save time and trouble, and go power. The low end NgraveR and high end LINDSAY (if your going to do life long work - go the Big L)
Old 05-30-2005, 12:11 PM
Enthusiast

Hand or Power?

A thought on Danny's posting.......................
Respectfully Danny, it would be a good idea for Bigaustin to try engraving first, to see if it is something he has the talent for and enjoys enough to stick with for the long haul.
He mentions that a budget is of PRIME importance to him. In fact, he has hand made many of his tools in preparation to his start in the engraving adventure, to conserve his avalible money.
I have and enjoy a Lindsay Classic Airgraver. It's a great tool. I paid the full retail price. Many of us, living in the U.S. are very lucky. It cost me a very small portion of my annual income. But, living in China, as he does, the exchange rate for the Chinese yuan puts him at a great disadvantage.
Bigaustin noted that a Lindsay tool would cost him half a years wages. That's a major
outlay this early in his learning curve. It would be equal to us paying $25,000.00 or even more for a Lindsay tool !! Add a compressor to that, maybe, and he would be spending a very considerable portion of his total annual income, just to get a start.
Respectfully, I find it hard to see the wisdom of that course.
JohnB.
Old 05-30-2005, 12:27 PM
Steel Addict

There is also the issue of down time if the tools ever need repair or replacement. Even if the tools are OK, what if the compressor or the electric motor breaks down? maybe you have a deadline that can't allow the delay...

Everyone will have to choose his own way, but it is hard for me to imagine that there is no longer any benefit from learning with non powered tools first, or even after learning with power assist tools. I'm not saying you have to do it, but my opinion is that it can't hurt you to try, if you have a mind to. It may even help!

Tom

Tags
knife, knives