MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Knife Making Discussions > Fit & Finish

Fit & Finish Fit and Finish = the difference in "good art" and "fine art." Join in, as we discuss the fine art of finish and embellishment.

Old 10-24-2012, 01:41 AM
Skilled

Need help using multiple material on handle

Ok, like the title says. I need a little help. I've only done wood handles and now I want to play a bit. Please excuse my poor drawings. Suppose I want to use 416 SS or MOP etc. between my wood, How is that done? This will be for a full tang small skinner that I'm making for my SIL and I wanted to dress it up a little. Do you guys just rely on epoxy or is there another trick.

Old 10-24-2012, 10:51 AM
Master

Gorilla brand super glue. Something at an angle like that is hell to clamp, so you gotta hold it tight till it sets. I don't do metal spacers anymore cause I don't think they bond well enough, but here are some tips.

1) Score the glue surface well. Use the roughest grit you can, scratch up the metal really well.

2) Make sure its CLEAN. Lots of dish soap for the metal. Use acetone on the wood glue surface to remove surface oils or resins, then a quick wipe with a damp rag to remove any acetone residue and also to raise the grain on the wood.

3) Use a small dab of glue or double sided tape to adhere matching pieces for both sides of the handle. Shape them when glued, then split with an x-acto knife. This way both sides are identical.

4) You'll have to sand the bottoms flat after gluing, even your pieces were flat previously.
Old 10-24-2012, 10:52 AM
Master

Oh yeah, especially with metal, don't get it too hot sanding the bottom, or when shaping the handle after being on the knife. That metal gets too hot, it'll fall off.
Old 10-24-2012, 11:11 AM
Skilled

Maybe hidden pins?

Old 10-24-2012, 04:58 PM
Skilled

Thanks Guys. Ive been a member of several knife forums for several years, but i was away at school/work for the last 5 years. I'm pretty much work with a basic unplugged setup. I built my forge from Tim Lively's plans. I also have a small propane forge that was built for me by a good friend of mine. I do have a 1X42 grinder, but I like hand tools and files to just relax. I can't forge anymore due to back problems, but I still like dabbling in knives. I just bought several kit knives that are suppose to be 440 C. I also bought several rough rider pocket knives to tear apart for patterns and I have a huge order from Culpeppers for Bone. I am wanting to do a few pocket knives for fun. I don't or I should say have never sold any of my knives. I do give them as gifts and I have done a few KITH's.
Old 10-24-2012, 06:13 PM
Master

hidden pins are always good. I try and have a pin going through each piece, unless its really small like a spacer

Tags
angle, brand, files, flat, forge, full tang, handle, hidden, hot, kit, knife, knives, make, making, material, pins, sand, scratch, spacers, surface, tang, tips, tools, wood