MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Community Discussion Boards > Knife Network Community

Knife Network Community TKN is all about excellence and sharing info. Our 'other' lives are also filled with stories, events, and opinions. This forum is an opportunity to discuss outside interests, personal experience, things that make us happy and things that don't!

Old 06-03-2009, 07:08 PM
Living Legend

Well they didn't want me as bad as they thought

Hi guys,

Typing this from Norfolk, Land of the Squids. The Navy is sending me home in disgrace due to high cholesterol. From what I was told a guy died last year of a heart attack during the Army training they out the Navy guys through. So they reacted in the typical knee jerk reaction we all have come to know and love they are being hard on the screening for heart related risk factors.

I should be home by this weekend. All these months of working, planning, changing the mind set and now I'm not cutting the mustard. I really don't think the active side really understand what it's like to go through all this and than be sent home.

On the brighter side I will be back at the grinder much sooner than I expected...

Thanks for all your guys support while I was getting ready and sorry to let you down,
Jim

Old 06-03-2009, 10:20 PM
Super Moderator

Oh, man - now you know it's gonna take a huge amount of restraint not to pick on you for getting tossed back!

Well, we're glad to see you're heading back to the Lone Star. Now take care of that cholesterol before it ends up sinking you!

Old 06-04-2009, 05:10 AM

One word...

Cheerios.

www.kansasknives.org

"Drawing your knife from its sheath and using it in the presence of others should be an event complete with oos, ahhs, and questions."
Old 06-04-2009, 09:59 AM

Location: Blairsville--in the beautiful Appalachian mountains of North Georgia.
Jim, my dear friend----------You have my sympathy for the sense of loss that you are experiencing. I know your life has been building around the Navy for a long time and I regret that it is not coming to fruition.

You have created a niche in your life with the fabrication of some most beautiful and functional knives. To return to what you do so well will please a lot of your present and future customers. You have three good things in your life working for you, Amy, and your skills in knife and candy making------and friends!!! ---Sandy---

Old 06-04-2009, 11:46 AM
Master

Jim-
As an Army and Air Force reserve vet I know all too well what you're going through! These days reservists are asked to drop there "normal" lives on a moments notice and go off to some foreign land many times for a year or more. I think the active component (the guys who ask you to do this) have lost site of all of the prep that goes into this - the family, house, job, etc. For many reservists one of the biggest challanges is working with their employer which is something that the active guys know nothing about. I know the S&S civil relief act is there to protect reservists, but the fact is the private sector is reluctant to even hire reservists now. It's hard to blame them. Can you imagine if you were the owner a small business - you have an employee you depend on that has to leave for 6 months or longer every few years? Can you take that risk? Or in your case, is told they're leaving so you make all of the preparations and at the last minute is told to stay home! How can the military expect to attract talented people to the reserves when they're treated like that? I feel for you and know your emotions must be extremely mixed right now. I'm sure there are quite a few people that are extatic you're staying home but won't show it outwordly because they know you're disappointed at some level.
-Dave

"The choice isn't between success and failure; it's between choosing risk and striving for greatness, or risking nothing and being certain of mediocrity." - Keith Ferrazi
Old 06-04-2009, 12:18 PM
Skilled

Well Jim I am not sure wether to say congratulations or condolences. Personally I am glad you are staying, because I have allot more knife making and cooking questions for you. Your last comment really worries me my friend, there is no way that you could ever let me or anyone else that knows you down, and you will always have my families and my support for helping to keep this great country safe and free. Thank you and hope to see you again soon.
Old 06-04-2009, 04:38 PM
Enthusiast

I am glad you are ok and you know about the problem early.I hd two friends die of heart attacks in my flight when we were in basic training it is a real heart breaker for all of their buds who had to carry them home.I t is your willingness to serve and protect us that matter and I for one am proud of all you have done . God bless and protect you and yours. George E hancox 1st mob U.S.A.F. 70-71.
Old 06-04-2009, 06:04 PM
Living Legend

Thanks for the support.

First, I will be going to the docs but the issues are I have a high triglycerides, combined with low good cholesterol and a bad family history. I am fine. I have my heart checked regularly (every other year) and this is the first time I've had issues with the readings.

I will work with them to get it down but it was the family history that did me in. Some of the other guys had just as bad of levels but not the history.

Jim

Old 06-04-2009, 10:41 PM
Super Moderator

Oooh! Triglycerides are often associated with high blood glucose. Be sure you pay attention if that turns out to be the case.

Old 06-05-2009, 04:16 AM
Skilled

Jim, just get your family doc to give you some Lovaza. It works great for lowering trigs and rasing the HDL. The biggest problem with taking it is you might get a fish burp, but that is about it. If you need any let me know, I usually have plenty laying around.
Old 06-06-2009, 09:07 PM
Registered

Drac,
thanks for stepping up and taking a run at one of the toughest branches of military service in service to your country. My hats off to you.
Old 06-16-2009, 08:21 PM
Master

Thumbs up

YOU did not let anybody down man. Those who only stand and wait also serve.

Old 06-30-2009, 01:19 AM
Hall of Famer

Usn

When I was in the Navy long time ago, as long as your were living, breathing, stood your watches and said your Navy prayer everyday (Oh God please don't let anything happen on my watch) they kept you in till end of enlistment.

Times have changed.

Gene Chapman
Oak and Iron Publishing
www.oakandiron.com/
Old 07-17-2009, 06:28 PM
Enthusiast

Jim I spent 8 years in the Air Force back in the early 70's. Every male member of my family back to my great grandfather has served in the military. The most important thing is you offered. Hold your head up proud, you wanted to help keep make it a safe place for all of the takers out there. I mean the ones who would not serve for any reason.
Youi have let noone down and your country men are proud of you like me and Idon't even know you, but I am proud of you.
Percy

Tags
knife, knife making, knives