MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Knife Making Discussions > The Newbies Arena

The Newbies Arena Are you new to knife making? Here is all the help you will need.

Old 08-12-2012, 05:52 AM

Like to see someone try and bandaid a tongue, Ray. That's be interesting. We just cauturize them at the hammer-ins.

Registered Master Artist - GA Council for the Arts
C Rex Custom Knives

Blade Show Table 6-H
Old 08-12-2012, 06:29 AM
Steel Addict

Gentlemen,

Ya'll all missed my point.
Dishonest, sure. Low integrity, of course. Greasy salesmen, you bet.
But it is humor... that will sell more than anything else including professional integrity everything else bring equal. {I was kidding}
"Why do you think they call it the 'Aggie Feed Store'?"

Thank you...

Jack the Knife
Old 08-12-2012, 10:37 PM
Steel Addict

Wow. We just so happen to be a very dense bunch...

Old 08-12-2012, 10:57 PM
Steel Addict

Sometimes it is hard to convey humor over the forums and things are construed in a way they were not ment.

Old 08-13-2012, 08:26 AM
Founding Member / Moderator

Carl,

Wouldn't have been able to bandaid the guy's tongue, of course, that's just silly. A tourniquet on his neck would have been the only logical solution. Not only would it have stopped the bleeding but it would also improve the gene pool at the same time ...

Your question may already have been answered - try the Search button first!

Old 08-13-2012, 08:50 AM
Skilled

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray Rogers View Post
Carl,

Wouldn't have been able to bandaid the guy's tongue, of course, that's just silly. A tourniquet on his neck would have been the only logical solution. Not only would it have stopped the bleeding but it would also improve the gene pool at the same time ...
Agreed. But who the hell thought you could test for sharpness by running a blade across your TONGUE?
Old 08-13-2012, 09:31 AM
Steel Addict

Gentlemen,

Yes, I meant when setting up to sell ones knives at a gun/knife show to be creative, original, use psychology, and humor. I gave the example of Ethan putting only one or two knives on his table and the reasons, and my idea of sticking the knife in something.
I mentioned Randy who I have known for over 50 years {since 1959} because he is a good salesman, my best friend, and he makes me laugh. Not intentionally or deliberately, he doesn't mean to, he quite can't help it, that is just Randy. {Randy's from Arkansas}

Randy's Dad old Harry would buy old cars and sell them on the weekend. {He was a glassier during the week} Harry Gibson was a master salesman and would pick out used cars from the paper in 'rich neighborhoods'; drive up in some old bomb smoking his Swisher Sweet cigar and look and look at the car and whatever the asking price was he would balk. Old Harry would say that was more than he had and leave his phone number and say to call him if they couldn't get what they wanted for the used car.
He bought cars this way making offers all weekend and told Randy if anyone of them ever called, that meant they would take his low price and he never had to bargain any more because if they called him... the bargaining was over.

I was amiss in including Randy's ideas for selling chickens at the Aggie, but down in that river bottom no one but white trash, Mexicans or Negros ever go in there. It is in Balch Springs which is worse than Pleasant Grove!
Y'all don't take everything I say literally or some new knife maker will end up at the big 'Market Hall Gun/Knife Show' with a cage full of chickens behind him and saying when asked about why he has a cage full of chickens at a gun/knife show:
"Well, that one there is already sold and..."

Thank you...

Jack the Knife

Last edited by Jacktheknife; 08-13-2012 at 09:41 AM.
Old 08-13-2012, 08:57 PM
Steel Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacktheknife View Post
Gentlemen,

...Balch Springs which is worse than Pleasant Grove!
I dont know if I'd go that far! The springs are pretty trashy, but PG has the edge when it comes to murder rate. My grandmother still lives alone in Pleasant Grove in the house my mom was raised in - bars on the windows and all. And to round it all off, I grew up in Mesquite.

You ever set up at the big town show?

Old 08-14-2012, 05:36 AM

"Y'all don't take everything I say literally or some new knife maker will end up at the big 'Market Hall Gun/Knife Show' with a cage full of chickens behind him and saying when asked about why he has a cage full of chickens at a gun/knife show:
"Well, that one there is already sold and...""

(now who's messin wid who?) Sure be a sight to see.....just means there'd be one forge dedicated to a large frying pan at my hammer-ins.

I hear you Ray. The hot iron works pretty much on the same principle if done correctly, not to mention the entertainment factor.

Cthulhu - someone with not so sharp a mind.

C Rex Custom Knives

Blade Show Table 6-H
Old 08-14-2012, 06:49 AM
Steel Addict

Slacker,

I've never been to the Big Town show. the only two gun/knife shows I have been to is Market Hall and Waxahatchie and I have never set up to sell knives at either yet, maybe this November at Market Hall. But the Market Hall gun show is vast and full of interesting stuff. Waxahatchie is in a big new convention center but is by comparison a small show. However I have a business card from a guy I met at the Waxahatchie show, Micky Kaehr who lives in Lewisville and uses weird west Texas cactus for the handle wood. They are full of holes but quite sound and are really beautiful, 'Blue Mesa Blades'. Check them out!

http://bluemesablades.com/

Thank you...

Jack the Knife
Old 08-17-2012, 07:42 AM
Enthusiast

Its the same as having a customer tell me he will pay $10 more if i put his order at the top of the list. My stock answer is "how would like it if someone gave me $15 to put his ahead of yurs"? usually "end of story" Your own good name is all you have. Once its gone, so are you.
Old 08-18-2012, 05:59 AM

I like the ones that think they deserve a "discount" for the asking. Since I harvest/collect/scrounge most of my materials and am sole author of all my work, I don't feel I have "wiggle" room. My prices are too low to start with based on what the KMG judges said in Louisville last year.

I just put it to them this way: What if your boss came up to you on payday, after you busted your butt all week and put in that extra effort, and said "I'm cutting 15% out of your takehome, because I want to keep the money for myself." How'd you feel?
Now I may give away a knife to someone special, young kid - veteran - etc., but it's my choice not someone elses. I do not discount my work. Worked too hard to get where I am.

C Rex Custom Knives

Blade Show Table 6-H
Old 08-19-2012, 01:23 PM
Master

Props on the table seem to perk interest. Wood stumps, feather, fur, velvet, anodized chunks of titanium, etc...whatever suits the style of knives you are doing. I started with a bare table and I was surprised at the amount of comments I received simply switching to a piece of scrunched up, crushed velvet as a table cloth.

I have also noticed working at your table tends to draw people in. I will bring a few pieces to hand sand, do file work on, stitching a sheath, etc. Something to keep me busy between customers, but something I can stop working on when someone stops by.

Also don't take it personally if your knives don't sell right away. Sometimes you can go to a show and not sell a thing, then the very next show at the same place with the same knives you might sell everything.
Old 08-19-2012, 08:41 PM

Carry a tall chair. Sitting down below the perspective buyers tends to turn them off. If you are sitting at eye level, you make better contact one on one and don't have to "get up" every time someone talks to you or asks a question.
Abue has some good advice as well. Be a little different without being obnoxious, it makes you stand out in the crowd.

C Rex Custom Knives

Blade Show Table 6-H
Old 08-26-2012, 09:24 AM
Enthusiast

one piece of advice from a 40 yr maker. DONT put out everything you have built on the table. It will be sensory overload and look like you have a museum of your work, not a sales table. My 2 cents worth

Tags
advice, art, back, bee, blade, build, easy, edge, flat, hammer, handle, how to, kit, knife, knife sharpening, knives, made, make, man, sharp, sharpening, store, tips, wood