MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Tool Time

Tool Time Let's talk shop. Equipment, Tips & Tricks, Safety issues - Post it here.

Old 07-22-2002, 09:31 PM
Skilled

Peter Wright anvil questions

Hi all

I have a Peter Wright anvil of about 180 lbs. The top is pretty dinged up. It appears that the previous owner cut metal on the face and allowed the chisel to go through into the anvil . I have been thinking about milling the face flat again. It is my understanding that the anvil is wrought iron with a steel face. if this is correct, does anyone know how thick the steel face might be. Would I be better off welding the dings and then milling, or should I leave it as is? Also does anyone know how to interpret the weight stamp? I think the first number is hundredweight (112 lbs?), but am not sure. the other 2 numbers, I am not sure of at all.

Thanks for any help / advise

Brian
Old 07-22-2002, 11:30 PM

I had a Peter Wright of about the same weight. As far as the condition of the face, I'd suggest calling some machine shops to see if any of them reface anvils. I'd leave it to them.
If the base cast iron portion of the anvil is in good condition, a new face and a dressed horn will put you in business. it is well worth fixing it up.
Concerning how to tell the weight, just place it on some scales.

Good luck with your project.

Jayhawk John
Athens, Ga

Old 07-23-2002, 12:10 AM

Mill your face?????????

Personally, I wouldn't mill the face.
First of all, the steel face will be very difficult to cut without expensive carbide cutters and probably cost you a bit of cash.
Secondly cutting the surface thins out the top plate, making it more likely to fail at a later time.
If the pits aren't too big just peen them down and use a sanding disc to smooth them out.
Most of the time this question is asked of the "Gurus" of forging the answer is DON'T!
Jim
Old 07-23-2002, 06:27 PM
Living Legend

anvil

yes, hundredweight=112 pounds. the three numbers are hundredweight, tenths of hundredweight, and finally individual pounds. thus, my Wright says 106 and is a 118 pounder. the face on my anvil is about 3/4" thick. the step in the anvil is part of the cast portion and the plate is welded above that.
when my anvil was purchased it had some dinging but not real deep. It was surface ground with coolant spray and then the edges were mildly radiused. it works fine. i have also heard of anvils being repaired by welding them up with a hardfacing "Stellite" rod then grinding, but better advice than mine should be sought before you do that. can always try asking at www.anvilfire.com
good luck, and enjoy
Old 07-24-2002, 01:16 AM
Steel Addict

Ok, Personally I would just grind it carefully with the soft disk on a side grinder if not too bad.
What do the numbers read from left to right. if the first number is 1..that does mean 112#s ( English hundred weight)

The second number which is located in the waist of the anvil goes in "quarter" weights...the number should be no higher than 3

The last number is actual pounds.

eg.

numbers read from left to right.... 1 2 12

this equals 112 + 56 + 12 = 180 lbs

hope this clarifies things!

oh and if the middle number is higher than 3, then it probably isn`t a Peter wright, but an "american made" or an anvil made by say an english company for an american company. then the numbers will read actual pounds, like mine 1 7 2 which is actually 172lbs.

Think outside the box!
Old 07-24-2002, 09:21 AM
Living Legend

apology

ahhh, LH, thanks for clarifying. I have been under a misimpression obviously about that middle number for a long time.
Old 07-24-2002, 09:15 PM
Skilled

LH

Thanks for the info!! The anvil is a peter wright for sure. It is stamped "PETER WRIGHT PATENT" The weight is 1 2 16 =184. Solid Wrought is stamped around the 2. It gives off a beautiful ring with the slightest tap of the hammer. Any idea how old it is??

Also there is a 1" tapered hole on both front and back of the waist, and a rectangular hole on the front of the foot. There is also a large "E" stamped on the front of the foot. Any idea what the E stands for and what the holes are for?

Thanks for any info
Brian
Old 07-24-2002, 10:49 PM
Steel Addict

I`d have to see a pic of it to tell how old it is, and as for the holes in the anvil, as far as I understand it, they were used for handling the anvil probably for the heat treating of the top plate. The "E" I have no Idea.
That sound like a genuine Peter Wright! Nice anvil I bid up to $450 on a beautiful 176lb P/W and didn`t get it.
Should be a real nicec anvil, take a ball bearing and bounce it from 14 to 18" and see how far it rebounds...it5 probably will almost come right back to 18" probably 16 1/2 to 17" if it does...you`ve got a winner!

Enjoy and happy hammering!

Think outside the box!

Tags
forging