MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Knife Making Discussions > The Newbies Arena

The Newbies Arena Are you new to knife making? Here is all the help you will need.

Old 09-17-2007, 09:09 PM
Steel Addict

Quick question

OK, on the knives that have screws in the handles to attach them to the tang, do the screws only go half way through the stock? Then butt up to each other. Or they slightly offset and all the way to the other handle?
Old 09-17-2007, 10:59 PM
Steel Addict

On some the ssrew part will screw into the part that goes on the other side, these have a name but I can not quite remember them, they are also quite large, is this the kind you mean? Cheers Ron.
Old 09-18-2007, 08:33 AM
Hall of Famer

I think what you are looking for are either Loveless or Corby style bolts.

They are essentially a threaded rod that passes through the handle material and the tang--one piece, not two from either side. Think of it as a headless screw.

A threaded nut is attached from each side of the handle to attach the slabs on either side of the tang.

You will want a hole through the tang just large enough to accomodate the threaded rod.

Then, you need to recess (countersink) the handle slabs to accomodate the width of the nuts. This recess should not pass all the way through the handle slabs. The nuts rest on a shoulder in the handle material, and tightening the nut draws the handle up against the tang. Any excess material from the nut that sits above the handle material can then be filed off.
Old 09-18-2007, 11:28 AM
Enthusiast

There is also a part called a sex bolt (I kid you not - Google it) that has a male & a female part (hence the name) with a screw slot on each end. The 2 parts are turned into each other & can either be countersunk & left with the slots or left proud & ground down smooth with the handle scales. You can find them in steel, stainless, brass, aluminum, etc in lots of different sizes.
Old 09-18-2007, 03:05 PM
Michael E. Mill

I think what you are saying is that hidn45 is true and that they also screw some handles together with offset threaded holes in the tang. It can be done either way . I have seen some that will drill out a large hole in tang fill with same size brass plug and this is threaded for an offset screw. Everything works. Mike

Last edited by Michael E. Mill; 09-18-2007 at 03:07 PM.

Tags
knives