MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Knife Making Discussions > The Newbies Arena

The Newbies Arena Are you new to knife making? Here is all the help you will need.

Old 04-22-2003, 04:06 PM
Registered

Craftsman Belt Sander?

I am just starting to get into knife making and don't want to spend a ton of money if I can avoid it. Along those lines I am looking at starting small and upgrading in time. I am looking at belt grinders which seem to get expensive pretty quickly. So I see that at Sears they have belt sanders that would seem as though they would work, but would love input before I go out and purchase. I know this can be the machine you use most, so I understand how important it can be.

Here are the specs
Craftsman Belt/Disk Sander
1 1/2 HP motor
2000 FPM/3450 RPM
belt: 6"x48"
Belt can be used upright or horizontal
$499

I will also be using a buffer, band saw and drill.

Thanks everyone.
Old 04-22-2003, 04:25 PM

i dont know much about sanders but that sounds good enough for what your using it for and i know that sears has liftime warrentys also with the band saw if you dont have one that has variable geer speeds not just the pulley system with the belts because it will make the blade go to fast and it will burn up blades like there not going out of style anyway hope it turns out good
Old 04-22-2003, 05:24 PM

Check your belt availablity for that size. i started out on a 4 X 36 and found after hunting a bit I could get some really good deals on just about any grit I needed. I think you can get a 4 X 36 for atround $100 and then save the other $400 for a 2 X 72. Be sure to check out the KMG grinders at Beaumont metal works I think his starts around $650 without the motor. May be a better investment.
Just my thoughts
Steve

Old 04-22-2003, 06:21 PM
Founding Member / Moderator

Mike,

This is probably the most discussed and most argued question on this forum. Please use the blue Search button at the top of the page to see the opinions that have been expressed on this subject at great length in the past.

Aside from that, I will restate briefly what you will find I have stated many times in previous threads: there is a reason why knife makers use 2x72 grinders and if you have at least $300 to spend you should get one. No, ifs, ands, or buts about it!

Other size grinders can be used but a 2x72 is better. For $300 you can get a Grizzly 2x72 designed for knife making. Not the best grinder in the world, but the best you can get for $300 and many, many of us started with it and still use it even though we now have better grinders. I have a $500 6x48 and I guess I could grind a blade on it but it wouldn't be much fun!

Use the Search button and start researching. This is the most important knifemaking equipment decision you will make so be sure you understand what you're buying and how you will use it...
Old 04-22-2003, 07:15 PM
Guru

For the $499 you can git a 2x72 Coote with a 8" wheel, and a motor, a very good machine that will take you a long way in knife making. Check out www.cootebeltgrinder.com
Gib

Old 04-22-2003, 08:14 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
I have a $500 6x48 and I guess I could grind a blade on it but it wouldn't be much fun!
In part it's what works for you. Reportedly D. E. Henry the famous Bowie maker used a 6" x 48" to make all of his knives.

Durango, CO
chuck@wrtcleather.com
www.wrtcleather.com

Wild Rose Trading Co - Handcrafted Knife Sheaths

The beautiful sheaths created for storing the knife elevate the knife one step higher. It celebrates the knife it houses.
Old 04-22-2003, 09:07 PM
Master

At least you know that you want to upgrade in the future. That's good. I made my first on a 4x36, but after that, I was pretty sure I needed something different. My wife then bought me a 2x48 which has worked surpisingly well for a couple of knives. It was set up for knife making which made it easier. I now have the KMG which is what I will stick with. But quess what? I haven't gotten rid of the other grinders 'cause they both serve their purpose. In other words, I don't feel like I wasted any money on them due to the fact that I still use them.

Start with what feels right. If it holds you back, upgrade. Buy the best you can afford from the start. SO MANY things can be acomplished by hand. Find your happy medium and go from there.

And best of luck!

Chris
Old 04-25-2003, 05:28 PM

Hey Mike,

For what it's worth, all I've ever used is a 6x48. I turned the table upright and bolted on a piece of 6x8 3/8" mild steel for a platen and a couple pulleys to slow the speed. Works fine for me, except being confined to flat grinds, but I've even managed to make recurves and hawkbills with it. You can check out my stuff to see what's possible. I'll probably move up to a KMG but more for the accessories (slack belt, small wheels, etc) than anything else. I've got a place that I can get belts down to 400grit for a really good price and after that, sand by hand. If you've got any questions just let me know and if you want I can probably get my hands on a digital camera and send you a few pics if that helps.

take care,
Lloyd

check out my website
Old 04-25-2003, 07:14 PM

Hey Lloyd
Good to see you found your way here. Enjoy yourself, it was great talking to you at the show.
Steve

Old 04-25-2003, 09:38 PM

Hi Steve,

Good to be here. It took me a bit to figure out some of the internet stuff but I'm getting a handle on it now. The suggestions you gave me at the show were bang on, thanks again. Hope your little one is letting you get a bit of rest. Give a yell if you're by this way.

take care,
Lloyd

check out my website
Old 04-28-2003, 02:59 PM
Registered

I think I am going to follow Ray's suggestion on the Grizzly, it is cheaper than my solution and looks like it will fit the bill. There are all kinds of great stuff on the Grizzly page.

Thanks everyone for your input. Hopefuly someday I will be able to post some pictures of decent knives.
Old 04-30-2003, 05:48 PM
Hall of Famer

welcome to ckdf, mike.
if you do decide to upgrade from the grizzly, it will still make a good profile grinder - you can just leave it set up as a single purpose machine.
also, if you plan to flat grind with it, rob frink used to have a 4" wheel available that will cut the belt speed in half (don't see it on his site now, but you could email him).

Old 05-02-2003, 03:28 AM
Enthusiast

Just finished my first kit knife...all by hand, no power tools.

Got my Grizley today! Did not enjoy knife making by hand! Just wanted to post that their service is incredable...I am on the left coast and got it the next day. Also wanted to say if you are not going to mount it to a wood bench you will need a 20"X12"X1" piece of like plywood and 8 mounting bolts/washers/lock washers/nuts. I got 5/16"X3", but 1-1/2" and 2" probably would be better.

I'll try to post my "progress" to give yall something to laugh at.
Old 05-02-2003, 06:52 AM
Founding Member / Moderator

Grizzly's service is top notch, no doubt about it. When I unpacked my Grizzly grinder I found that one of the knobs was broken. One quick phone call and I had a new knob the next day, no questions asked. My whole shop is full of Grizzly equipment and that was the only broken piece I ever received....

Tags
blade, knife, knife making, knives