MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > The Display Case

The Display Case A place to post your latest knives and creations. Let the Knife Network community see your work first!

Old 02-12-2003, 05:43 PM

Any Ogg fans...?

Once again, I found myself a little gem.

After my Bob Ogg discovery last year (which ended up as a gift to Bob's family (Max Burnett & mom)), I've been keeping my eyes open for them. This one came from an insignificant listing on eBay. Lousy pic, poor description, new member, 1 feedback. All-in-all it was a gamble. Here's the link:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...154918316&rd=1

Now here's the knife in a better shot:

After I rec'd it and cleaned it up just a bit, I was VERY pleased with my score. Bob Ogg made a gazillion of these knives, I suppose, because his serial numbers go well into the thousands. Nonetheless, I find them pretty fascinating and especially well-made. This is a slip joint, and the backspring is the STIFFEST I have ever encountered. Bob didn't want this one closing on you. It's unbelievable! It's actually dangerous in it's closing force. It's no small-fry either, at 8" OAL.

Anyway, that was then and this is now. There's a date engraved on it, so there doesn't seem to be any cornfusion of the history. It's in wonderful condition for a 28 year old knife. There seems to be oak handles on it, which by itself is rare and dated. One thing I notice about his later knives is the change to the bolster which covers that pesky square edge on the closing corner. I am very aware of these edges these days, and this one aside, I look closely at that.

Hope you enjoy this old-timer also.

Coop

?? New website improvement for 2010 - Over 5000 images searchable by maker's name! ??
Old 02-12-2003, 06:02 PM
Hall of Famer

nice score, jim. nothing like bidding on a pig in a poke and coming out smelling like a rose
thanx for the look

Old 02-12-2003, 10:13 PM

Thanks for the pic Jim--every one of his folders I see reminds me to ask "Why don't makers use that deeply recessed pivot pin position like Mr Ogg's?" I've handled a few of his folders and they all seem so solid when opened, partly due to the pivot pin position I think.
Great score !!
MtMike

Old 02-13-2003, 06:32 AM
Skilled

Wow Coop, in the pic on Ebay it looks like that knife survived a house burning with severe smoke damage. Lousy pic, lousy description, wonderful knife! You stole that knife from that poor schmuck Coop! He he. If you'll tell me the serial number I can tell you a little more about it's history. If that's an oak handle that's the first one I ever saw from Bob. He used oak for alot of things in his carpentering projects. But I can never remember him using oak for a folder handle. It must be some special oak from an aging barrel from his favorite whiskey maker. I hope the wood type is in the book. He kept real good records.

That folder you sent us is the center piece of our collection of Bob's knives Coop. I oiled it up real good with Ballistol, put it back in that sock you sent with it and put it in a shearling lined zipper case! We only show it to people that respect knives and the man that made it. Could you post a pic of it here in this thread if it's not much trouble old buddy. These folks really need to see this one. I'd do it myself but don't have any way to post pics here. It's an awesome piece!
Old 02-13-2003, 06:45 AM

Revisit a friend..

Sure thing Max!

He's right this knife would be a star in anyone's collection. So glad this one is being appreciated.

The serial number on the 'Oak' folder is 619 (or if I'm looking at it upside down, it's 619... ) Got some pretty fancy engraving going on there, too!

Mike: If this knife is anything, it's SOLID!!! I like it! Thanks.

Coop

?? New website improvement for 2010 - Over 5000 images searchable by maker's name! ??
Old 02-13-2003, 07:45 AM
Skilled

Wow! That's an oldie but a goodie! That knife was finished on the 18th of August in the summer of '75. Bob made it for a fellow named Bob Wilkinson but I don't know where he lived. Must have been a local fellow. The style is what Bob called the 'Kappa'. And the handle scales are bois d'arc, or bodark, osage orange or horseapple tree. Whatever you call it where you're from. He used alot of that wood because it was so hard and aged like ivory. I could see in your pics after cleaning that knife up that there's a crack near the pommel screw on one side. You might be able to super glue that and buff it back out before it splits all the way off. That happens when the knife goes from a lower elevation where it's moist to a higher elevation where it's dry. Or vice' versa'.

Anyway, thanks for posting the pic of that showstopper. It always takes my breath away.
Old 02-13-2003, 10:00 AM
Enthusiast

Got to love those old classics, thanks for sharing.
Old 02-13-2003, 06:31 PM
Guru

You really do find some good stuff Jim

If I add an Ogg knife to my collection I think it will be from the young 'un but only because I doubt if any of the old 'uns will surface this side of the Pond. It is a testament to the longevity of the knives that they don't kep appearing on eBay or the other auction sites each day....

Roger

Tags
blade, knife, knives