MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Community Discussion Boards > Knife Network Community

Knife Network Community TKN is all about excellence and sharing info. Our 'other' lives are also filled with stories, events, and opinions. This forum is an opportunity to discuss outside interests, personal experience, things that make us happy and things that don't!

Old 09-10-2007, 07:52 AM
Registered

How to slow down a band saw???

I wanted to know if it were possible to slow down a band saw for metal cutting? I have a real old heavy duty band saw that I would like to slow down to around 100 - 150 fpm. Right now it is just a single belt going from motor pulley to wheel pulley. I know I could put different size pulleys to slow it down some but I still don't think it would get it slow enough. Does someone make some type of gear reduction box for straight out of the motor? Or maybe someone has done a double or triple step down with pulleys. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Randy Bush
Old 09-10-2007, 09:09 AM
Living Legend

My JET 4x6 has two triple pulleys and I use the slowest speed which I think is about 120. You should be able to do it with just pulley reduction. Have you contacted the manufacturer?
Old 09-10-2007, 03:23 PM
Super Moderator

Do a search around the forum for band saws. One or two guys have slowed woodworking saws down so they could use them for metal cutting and at least one of them posted some info on it.

Old 09-10-2007, 04:31 PM
Steel Addict

Randy,

Here is a link to a post I made a couple of years ago with a similar project. . . I hope it helps.

http://www.knifenetwork.com/forum/sh...ad.php?t=25080

-Mike

"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, beer in the other, totally worn out and screaming, "WOO HOO what a ride!"

Old 09-11-2007, 07:42 PM
Registered

Mike, thanks for the info, that really helps! Maybe you can answer a technical question for me... The motor on the band saw is a 1725 RPM. The final wheel that the actual blade goes on is 63.5 inches around, so one revolution of the wheel makes the blade travel 63.5 inches. Will it be possible to slow it down to 100 FPM with out a variable speed motor? Also any info on where to get the pulleys and jack shaft pulleys, what exactly should I ask for. Thanks again for any info!!!

Randy Bush rbush6679@aol.com
Old 09-11-2007, 10:57 PM
Steel Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by randy6679
Mike, thanks for the info, that really helps! Maybe you can answer a technical question for me... The motor on the band saw is a 1725 RPM. The final wheel that the actual blade goes on is 63.5 inches around, so one revolution of the wheel makes the blade travel 63.5 inches. Will it be possible to slow it down to 100 FPM with out a variable speed motor? Also any info on where to get the pulleys and jack shaft pulleys, what exactly should I ask for. Thanks again for any info!!!
Hi Randy,

You know, math was never my long suit, if it were, I'd be a lot better off in life than I am. . .

I suppose that it would be possible to get the blade speed slow enough without the use of a variable speed motor, you'd simply have to have a couple more step-down pulley segments. . . how many is beyond me, that's why I opted for the variable speed motor. Besides you get a little more flexibility with a variable speed motor, as you can slow it down for thick hard stock or speed it up for thinner softer materials.

Sorry that I couldn't be of any more help,
-Mike

"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, beer in the other, totally worn out and screaming, "WOO HOO what a ride!"

Tags
blade, knife