MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Ed Caffrey's Workshop

Ed Caffrey's Workshop Talk to Ed Caffrey ... The Montana Bladesmith! Tips, tricks and more from an ABS Mastersmith.

Old 12-17-2001, 12:46 AM
JossDelage

Where to get 1095 cable (for cable damascus)?

I want to give it a shot. Thanks!

JD
Old 12-17-2001, 09:44 AM
foxcreek

cable source

some folks have a knack for finding usable cable at scrap yards and equipment auctions, etc. but you can always, perhaps more conveniently, and certainly more reliably, order cable from the big industrial suppliers such as MSC. After all you wont be needing hundreds of feet of cable (or will you ? ).
Old 12-17-2001, 11:44 AM
John m cohea

Re: cable source

Joss, I don`t know if you live in or near a town that a major river such as the ohio or the mississippi,runs through, but if you do, you can check to see if the have a supplier of rigging to the towboat industry, or a shipyard or fleeting service. If they do you can find it at one of those places. I not only live about three miles from such a place,which is where I get mine,I also work in this industry.If you want, I can supply you with the number of my source, and I`m sure Mel will be glad to ship you small quantities of cable, and even cut it into small pieces for you at no extra charge. The name of the place is paducah rigging,located in Greenville,Ms.The # is662-378-4745. Ask to speak to Mel Covington and he will fix you up. You can tell him I told you to call if you want.Hope this helps and could luck!!
Old 12-17-2001, 04:23 PM
JossDelage

Thanks guys. MSC carries C steel cable, but it's coated in vinyl or something...

John, I live in Seattle - I'm sure I can find what you describe. I would have though that they'd use SS though.

Thanks,

JD
Old 12-18-2001, 08:53 AM
blckbear

JD I have a freind who repairs cranes and Trollys he has told me that anyone who repairs them are usually very willing to cut up pieces to give to someone. Less for them to take back and the salvage value is next to nill.

I got a 3" piece of cable from the Palm Springs tram that I'm mustering up the courage to tackle.

just my 2 cents.

Mike
Old 12-18-2001, 03:26 PM
JossDelage

OK, I found a rigging company that carries Extra Improved Plow Steel cables (XIPS). Is that 1095? Or less?

Also, what cross section do you guys favor for such projects? And do you add anything to your borax to make it more fluid?

Thanks,

JD
Old 12-18-2001, 04:46 PM
John m cohea

Joss, this is indeed 1095. As far as size, this largely depends on you and the tools you are working with. If your doing this all by arm and hammer as I am, you will find that the larger cross sections such as 1-1/8 and above take a tremendous amont of effort, but can be done, it just takes awhile.Smaller sizes such as 7/8 and 3/4 are easier to work by hand. Just make sure you use all steel cable,because the fiber core won`t work. Good luck!!
Old 12-19-2001, 11:13 AM
JossDelage

He he... I found a place where they had that, and the guy said he would give me a few pieces. When I said I just needed a couple yards he said they were probably throwing away pieces like that every other day. I said I would give him a knife made out of the cable. First trade for service / goods for me! Hopefully that will start a lon, mutually beneficial relationship!

JD
Old 12-19-2001, 11:25 AM
John m cohea

That, I have found Joss, is one of the many great things about this craft!!! My neighbor just built me a heavy duty anvil stand from 2x2 tubing with a hammer shelf and a hardie tube since my anvil is a 3``, thick 100lb steel plate, in trade for a cable knife!!! I`m friends with the manager of the local shipyard, and I get all of my materials for tool projects, as well as free welding,for which I also gave him a knife. I`snt life grand!!!!!!
Old 12-21-2001, 03:56 PM
sjaqua

The cable I used came out of a crane. From time to time Cranes are re-cabled. The brohter of one of my friends, works where cranes get worked on. He has given surrplus cable to his brother, who has given it to me. If you can locate a maintenance yard that works on cranes, maybe you can get then to sell or give scrap cable. Crane cable should be improved plow share at least.

Scott B. Jaqua
Old 12-30-2001, 10:58 PM
Mark Merz

Lyle at Bronk's custom knifeworks and gallery could point you in the right direction. As a matter of fact I watched him forge up some cable this evening. His # is 425-402-3484
Mark

Tags
forge, knife