MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Knife Making Discussions > Heat Treating and Metallurgy

Heat Treating and Metallurgy Discussion of heat treatment and metallurgy in knife making.

Old 11-24-2006, 01:55 PM
Master

METE, a reply to an old post

Quote:
Originally Posted by mete
AwP, austempering has nothing to do with forging. You can austemper [for bainite] with or without forging !....Andrew, 52100 has high hardenability [much higher than 5160] so it's not all that suitable for edge or clay hardening.
This was in another thread over on the newbies forum, it was quite old but I've been offline for a while now and just got back within the last few days. I thought to get bainite you marquench, and that austempering was another name for ausforging which is basically just low temp forging?

origional thread: http://www.knifenetwork.com/forum/sh...ight=Austemper

Old 11-25-2006, 07:52 AM
Master

As the name implies MARquench or MARtemper gives you martensite. Austemper gives you bainite. Both of these are heat treating processes.Ausforging is the forging of the steel after the temperature has dropped below the critical temperature but before the austenite has begun to transform. When the piece is in the 'austenite bay ' there is a limited time when it can be forged or worked but significant strength increases can occur.It's more applicable with higher hardenability steels since the austenite bay is larger and you have more time.
Old 11-25-2006, 08:04 AM
Skilled

Quote:
Originally Posted by mete
As the name implies MARquench or MARtemper gives you martensite. Austemper gives you bainite. Both of these are heat treating processes.Ausforging is the forging of the steel after the temperature has dropped below the critical temperature but before the austenite has begun to transform. When the piece is in the 'austenite bay ' there is a limited time when it can be forged or worked but significant strength increases can occur.It's more applicable with higher hardenability steels since the austenite bay is larger and you have more time.
Careful mete, some bladesmiths refer to hammering the steel in the dull red range as "ausforging", kind of another term for edge packing, for lack of a better term, though I don't believe ausforgers claim to be packing atoms. I have not encountered "ausforging" in any industrial texts, though you may have. The term I have seen used by industry is "ausforming" and it is exactly as you described it- the quick deformation of the material while in lower temperature, metastable austenite form before Ms or bainitic transformation.
Old 11-25-2006, 09:18 AM
Master

I thought of that too but I didn't want to bring up the dreaded 'e---- p----' term !!
Old 11-27-2006, 11:40 AM
Master

Hmm... let's see if I understand this then. So marquench/tempering and austempering are both approximately the same process, quenching into a hotter then usual medium and leaving it in there for X amount of time, the main difference between the two being how hot the quench medium is(below vs above Ms)? Does that seem like I got it or am I still way off base?

Old 11-28-2006, 07:43 PM
Master

Except that the X amount of time is short for marquenching and long for austempering.
Old 11-30-2006, 07:07 PM
Master

Got it, thanks.

Tags
blade, forging, knife