MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Knife Making Discussions > Heat Treating and Metallurgy

Heat Treating and Metallurgy Discussion of heat treatment and metallurgy in knife making.

Old 10-12-2005, 01:35 PM
Registered

What do I need to heat treat with?

Howdy ya'll

Just found this forum today and it looks quite interesting. I've made about a dozen knives over the past few years and have made them all from saw blades from a chop saw. I've never heat treated any of them as I figured they were treated from the factory and when I ground out my shape I kept them cool as not to destory the heat treat.
Any how. I've got a urge to branch out into high carbon steels and a damcus blank my brother-inlaw gave me. Don't have the time to forge right now so my method will be stock removal.
I've read the book called The $50 dollar knife shop and saw his firebrick forge setup. Definitly inexspensive and handy. Do I need something along the lines as that or what about a propane gas forge. Saw a very neat looking one on ebay that was made in several sizes with the one for knifemaking coming in at $125 bucks. Can't make damcus steel with the feller say's but then I probably won't be doing that any way.
I read on here somewhere today about using a toaster oven? Like I said I'm new to the heat treating process except for the excellent book I read so any help would be appreciated.

Andrew
Old 10-12-2005, 01:58 PM

You need a way to get the hold the blade (vise grips), get it hotter than critical temperature (propane or oxy acetylene torch), determine when it has reached critical temperature (magnet) and quench it (heated mineral oil in a steel receptacle). You then need to temper it in an oven capable of reaching 270?F to 350?F.

Old 10-12-2005, 01:58 PM
Enthusiast

I've recently started to make some knives by stock removal with 01 tool steel. I harden the blades using the one brick forge from the $50 knife shop, quench in used 5W-20W used motor oil (saved from my last oil change). Then I draw the temper using a 97 cent toaster oven from a garage sale. This also gets used to heat up Kydex to make sheaths.

So far its keeping me out of trouble.

Ric Lee

"Fire is our friend" -- Gene Hackman in Young Frankenstein

eye-bulging,
nonsense-gibbering time as we
may be classified unable to
operate heavy machinery."
Joan Frank, 1991

Tags
blade, forge, knife, knives