MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Knife Making Discussions > Heat Treating and Metallurgy

Heat Treating and Metallurgy Discussion of heat treatment and metallurgy in knife making.

Old 12-07-2010, 03:11 PM

DIY Cryo for ATS-34?

I'm looking at having some ATS-34 blades heat treated by a local place (see my other thread) but a cryo treatment is an extra change on top of a quote that's already pretty high. Seems I heard or read somehwere that the timing of the cryo treatment isn't that critical, i.e., I could have it done after the fact, but I don't remember for sure. Could I just do it myself in a dry ice/acetone bath after I get the blades back? How long would I leave the blades in there if so? I know the treatment is supposed to make the steel tougher. Will it increase the hardness as well? I'm looking to have the blades done to 60-61 RC, but that may be to high if the cryo treatment adds any hardness.

Thanks,

Ben
Old 12-07-2010, 03:36 PM
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbeishline View Post
I'm looking at having some ATS-34 blades heat treated by a local place (see my other thread) but a cryo treatment is an extra change on top of a quote that's already pretty high. Seems I heard or read somehwere that the timing of the cryo treatment isn't that critical, i.e., I could have it done after the fact, but I don't remember for sure. Could I just do it myself in a dry ice/acetone bath after I get the blades back? How long would I leave the blades in there if so? I know the treatment is supposed to make the steel tougher. Will it increase the hardness as well? I'm looking to have the blades done to 60-61 RC, but that may be to high if the cryo treatment adds any hardness.

Thanks,

Ben

Cryo needs to be done immediately following the quench or between two 2-hr. tempers.

Yes, it raises the hardness a point or two, so you need to have it checked after the last temper.

Last edited by Don Robinson; 12-07-2010 at 05:13 PM.
Old 12-07-2010, 04:39 PM

Thanks, guess that rules out possibility of doing it myself. At least knowing saves me a bunch of pointless effort!

Ben
Old 12-14-2010, 08:44 AM

Ben, try Texas knife supply. They offer both heat treat and cryo for a very reasonable price.
John Henry
Old 12-25-2010, 10:25 AM
Steel Addict

Look to Paul Bos heat treating in connection with Buck Knives. He is retired now but has trained a person to take his place. He does the whole package in one low price.

Tags
ats-34, heat treat, knife, knives, supply