MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Knife Making Discussions > Heat Treating and Metallurgy

Heat Treating and Metallurgy Discussion of heat treatment and metallurgy in knife making.

Old 07-24-2005, 12:20 AM
Steel Addict

D-2 heat treatment-tempering

I need infromation from knife makers who are using D-2 and do their own heat treatment. I am switching from O-1 to D-2 and did a search for heat treating D-2. In my search I found that the temps for hardening were consistant. I found that the temps for tempering the steel after hardening was very different from one source to another. One source stated to double temper at a temp. of 900 degrees for a hardness of around 60-61RC. Another source stated to double temper at 400 degrees for the same hardness.
Which one do I use for a final hardness of 60-62 RC. :confused:

Thanks;
Bob Hatfield

Old 07-24-2005, 11:23 AM
Steel Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Hatfield
I need infromation from knife makers who are using D-2 and do their own heat treatment. I am switching from O-1 to D-2 and did a search for heat treating D-2. In my search I found that the temps for hardening were consistant. I found that the temps for tempering the steel after hardening was very different from one source to another. One source stated to double temper at a temp. of 900 degrees for a hardness of around 60-61RC. Another source stated to double temper at 400 degrees for the same hardness.
Which one do I use for a final hardness of 60-62 RC. :confused:

Thanks;
Bob Hatfield
Thanks for asking Bob, I've come across the same confusing information. I made the mistake of tempering at 400 and got a very crumbley edge..much to hard if I'm not mistaken.

I then tempered at around 850 and got a good edge and the blade came out at 60-62 RC

I hope someone with more knowledge about heat treating than myself will come back with an answer.

Andy..
Old 07-24-2005, 03:30 PM
Master

D2 tempering is dependent on the hardening temperature.At higher hardening temperatures [above 1850F] it exhibits secondary hardening because of the vanadium and molybdenum.However as the austenitizing temperature increases so does the retained austenite ! I would recommend 1850F which will not produce excessive RA .Tempering will then drop the hardness gradually .Since the steel is new to you I would suggest experimenting to see which tempering temperature gives you what you want.Remember that figures may be different from different sources depending on the exact composition and other variables. See www.crucibleservice.com .
Old 07-25-2005, 06:01 AM
Steel Addict

Send a message via ICQ to RJ Martin
Bob: D2 is an easy steel to heat treat. Use 1850F as mete suggests. Then, double temper at 500F. 500 will produce Rc60, and you will be at maximum toughness for D2. D2 is somewhat "funny" in that respect-You can temper at 600F, get a softer blade, but, it won't be as tough as the harder, Rc60 blade you get at 500F.
If you're freezing it, I like to freeze D2 between tempers.

Generally, when looking at tempering temps, if two temps produce the same hardness, I use the lower one.

RJ Martin
Knifemaker
www.rjmartinknives.com
Old 08-01-2005, 03:29 PM
Steel Addict

Talking

Thanks for the replys. I plan to harden at 1850 and double temper at 500 on several test runs of D-2.

Bob Hatfield

Tags
blade, knife