MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Knife Making Discussions > Fit & Finish

Fit & Finish Fit and Finish = the difference in "good art" and "fine art." Join in, as we discuss the fine art of finish and embellishment.

Old 08-05-2001, 03:05 PM
BCB27

Steel problems

I have found that my steel choices have been limited due to 'dirty' steel. Unless asked to do otherwise, I typically hand finish my knives to 600 or 1000 grit. The 'dirt' almost always shows up at 600 grit, and depending on the steel, can be quite severe. In two cases (with different steels), the problem was so extreme that 220 grit handrubbing was creating quite a few 60-ish grit scratches. On other steels, like D2, I am always able to eliminate the speckles with some extra work. I have used 440C, ATS-34, BG-42, S90V, 3V, and D2. The only steels I have found to be consistently clean are 440C and ATS-34.
So, I am wondering, have I just been unlucky, the target of some 'vast Right Wing conspiracy' , or have others experienced the same?

Brett
Old 08-07-2001, 09:37 PM
Mondt

I've worked with all but BG-42 and have not experienced the phenomenon you describe. I do both hand rubbed and mirror polished blades.

Could it be serious surface decarb?

A couple of questions:
1. Who is your supplier?
2. What kind of quality control do they employ?
3. Who does your heat treating?
4. What method is employed to reduce surface oxidation?
Old 08-08-2001, 02:20 AM
BCB27

Doug,

I don't think it is decarburization. That would suggest a HT problem, but it doesn't seem to fit the right pattern and it was never suggested when I spoke to Crucible. It was theorized that I received pieces from the end of the roll. I would like to discuss this theory more though.
To my knowledge, B-42 is only produced by Latrobe. I only tried two three foot bars, one of which was full of inclusions. It was probably just bad luck with this steel, but due to other problems (extreme warping), I have no desire to work with this steel.
To my knowledge, Crucible is the sole producer of the CPM steels. I also purchase my D-2 from them. I have used quite a bit of D-2 from them, and get the occasional problem, but it always rubs out. As for the S90V, I made four knives from a small plate, and all four were unsellable. Since I had so much time invested, I finished them out and gave them to family members (unmarked, of course). I only worked on one knife from 3V. When I found the 'dirt', I stopped working on it and intend to send the remainder of it and the S90V back to the supplier.
I realize this isn't much to establish proper tracking, but that is mostly why I originally posted. It's looking like I have extremely bad luck more than anything else.
I haven't worked 440C in a while, but I purchased it from one of the supply houses and I am not sure where they got it. The ATS-34 comes from McCarty and Sons, I believe. I haven't had any problems with these steels.
I am not sure what quality control standards are employed.
The blades are foil wrapped to reduce oxidation. The blades are returned with light heat coloring.

Brett

Old 08-08-2001, 05:02 AM
Don Cowles

Brett- See the note from Steve Johnson in his forum- in his experience (and he's had lots of it), dirt in steel is sometimes part of the package, and we just have to shug it off and move on. Sounds like you had a real run of bad luck, though. If I were you, I would be calling Ed Seiverson at Crucible and making some serious noise about the S90V. If nothing else, they should replace it.
Old 08-08-2001, 07:32 PM
BCB27

Thanks, Don. Most of the problems in the thread seemed related to cold-rolled steel, which I haven't used. Also, I have contacted Crucible and am confident they will take care of me.

Brett
Old 08-09-2001, 02:01 PM
Mondt

Brett,
Sounds like real bad luck!! I get all my steel from Crucible and have yet to see any "dirt" during finishing. I have a couple of ends of S60V and 3V and have seen nothing yet.

I'm out of ideas!!??

One last thing,
Check your annealing cycle # from your steel. Every piece I get I has a tracible annealing cycle # on it so if I have any problems or questions I can get in touch with Crucible about it.

I know thier quality control is good. GOOD LUCK!

Old 08-09-2001, 03:06 PM
BCB27

Even though I don't like being the unlucky one, I am glad it has been just me. Doug, thanks for the annealing cycle info.

Brett

Tags
knife, knives