MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Ed Caffrey's Workshop

Ed Caffrey's Workshop Talk to Ed Caffrey ... The Montana Bladesmith! Tips, tricks and more from an ABS Mastersmith.

Old 08-25-2010, 01:57 PM
Super Moderator

Send a message via AIM to Ed Caffrey Send a message via Yahoo to Ed Caffrey
Changes to Journeyman Smith and Master Smith Testing Locations

I found this information on the ABS forums this morning....GREAT NEWS! Kudos to the ABS Board for making this decision!

This will give individuals TWO options for taking the Presentation phase of their JS or MS test.
Pay particular attention to the red text, indicating that if an applicant fails, they will not be eligible to retest for one calendar year.

Changes to Journeyman Smith and Master Smith Testing Locations

The ABS Board of Directors conducted a meeting in San Antonio, Texas on August 20, 2010 and voted to have JS and MS testing at the San Antonio show in January 2012 in addition to the annual June testing at the Blade Show in Atlanta. The Peck and Hughes awards, however, will still only be issued at the Atlanta show.

Candidates that test at either location and do not pass will still be required to wait one calendar year before testing again. Candidates will have to apply a minimum of thirty (30) days prior to the date of the test to be eligible to test.

Caffreyknives@gmail.com

"Every CHOICE has a CONSEQUENCE, and all your CONSEQUENCES are a result of your CHOICES."
Old 08-25-2010, 05:06 PM
Master

Makes better sense as to why there's no '11 show. Probably a whole lot nicer temps that time of year down in San Antonio.

Take care, Craig
Old 08-25-2010, 05:48 PM
Super Moderator

Amen to that Craig!! Texas in August is no place I want to be. Last year, even in the hotel room, with the AC set as cold as it would go, it was still nearly 90F in the room! The show hall wasn't much better. I'm sure it will be MUCH more tolerable in January.

Hopefully by then things will pick back up again. I've talked with several folks this week...by all accounts all of the shows that were on last weekend were pretty much dogs. I talked to one guy who was in San Antonio, and he said that on Saturday the only activity was the crickets chirping.

Caffreyknives@gmail.com

"Every CHOICE has a CONSEQUENCE, and all your CONSEQUENCES are a result of your CHOICES."
Old 08-26-2010, 06:57 PM
Skilled

Send a message via AIM to sdcb27 Send a message via Yahoo to sdcb27
Ed,
Would the Denver show make sense to do this at? Fairly more central to the US

http://www.highcountryknives.com
Old 08-26-2010, 09:07 PM
Steel Addict

Thanks for the info Ed, its good to hear. Have a great weekend.

Jim

Old 08-27-2010, 07:55 AM
Super Moderator

Romey,

The PKA would never become a place for testing. Geographical location is WAY down the list of requirements.
The testing must be done in a location where the ABS board is gathered, not only to ensure continuity, but to ensure that enough Master Smith's are present to conduct the review of applicant's knives. There's a whole list of reasons to have testing only at those shows where the ABS sanctions the show(s).

Maybe, someday, testing will be held in other locations based on geography, but for now I am thrilled to see that applicants for JS or MS will be able to choose between Atlanta and San Antonio as testing sites....it's been talked about literally for years.

When I was a new ABS member, I didn't understand why a person could test ONLY in Atlanta. With time and experience in the organization, I now fully understand. Setting up for testing, gathering the required judges, addressing any questions or rules violations, tracking those testing, and completing the documentation is a huge task that requires teamwork and a number of specific individuals. It's MUCH more complicated than just saying "Hey! Let's have JS and MS testing at the XXXX show.

Personally, it makes sense in my mind that the ABS decided to do this in hopes of generating more interest in the San Antonio show.... both from makers and buyers.

I had family matters to deal with an did not get to attend this year, but last year was my worst knife show ever. And after talking with a couple of individual who did attend this year, their comments lead me to believe that this year was no better.

Caffreyknives@gmail.com

Old 08-27-2010, 05:42 PM
Skilled

Thanks Ed,
I assumed much of it had to do with actually having enough MS to judge though there has been opportunities for that before(I thought) Reno for one, Montana show,in fact I thought Blade show west would have been a no brainer but that opportunity is passed. I didnt realize Board had to be present... At any rate I think its a good to see improvement happening with ABS to include a much more updated website. Improvements like such could very well spur me to rejoin the ABS especially when having an opportunity to get to a judging show that doesnt hit me coming off calving and knee deep in haying season
Do you think the down turn of the Expo is simply economics we have or logistics of the show itself?

Old 08-27-2010, 08:32 PM
Super Moderator

Not long ago, I thought that the worst of the economic downturn had hit knifemakers....now I'm thinking differently. It's been three weeks since the phone in the shop has rang with an knife inquiry or order....that's VERY unusual for me. I can only surmise that other makers are having similar circumstances.

Personally, I think one of the things that has been a determent to getting buyers to come to the Exop is partly in how they solicit patrons. They ask table holders for a list of their collectors, then invite those collectors. Nothing at all wrong with that, but many of us share the same collectors, which means that any number of makers may be sending in several of the same names each. Right or wrong, my thought is to reach out to the public in general through more strategic advertising, and try to bring a higher number of patrons to the show, rather than hoping that a small contingent of collectors will make the show viable for everyone.

In a broader cross section, just about every knife show out there has fallen on hard times over the last 1 1/2 years, and I personally don't see it getting any better until we get the yahoo in the White House replaced.....it's not that I'm blaming him directly, but everything he's done has lead our economy to where it is now, and let's face it....every knife that any knifemaker sells is based on someone's disposable income, and when those folks either do not have disposable income, or perceive they do not have it, knifemakers are not going to get any.

Caffreyknives@gmail.com

Old 08-28-2010, 10:30 AM
Skilled

That makes sense. I have come to realize there are many collectors who dont do any knife forums, dont read the knife rags, dont go to any shows. Giving those "unknown" or little known collectors an opportunity to be involved in a show as well as John Q public is the only way I can see a show working. The town that has the show also has to have the identity within it where there are the type of people that will go to a show.
If the knife economy was based on collectors alone there would be alot less knives in the world and alot less makers. The knife world would probably look as it did in the 70`s or 80`s.

Im not sure anymore the economy can be turned around, the world no longer depends on the US for materials and industry. Obamanation maybe only cut the throat of a crippled cow. I beleive it would take some very radical changes in the private sector and down sizing half of "the green machine" Anyway, thats another discussion but I agree with everything you said, makes sense.

Old 09-07-2010, 06:23 PM
Enthusiast

Ed,
I like to check your discussions from time to time. It's always enlightening.

I have to say I agree with you that we as makers really need to take a bigger responsibility for ourselves as well as reach out to the collecting community in meaningful ways. We're all feeding from the same trough, but I think we agree that we we just need a bigger trough. Encourage collecting. Help the collectors bring in new collectors.

Any way we can involve the collectors in our world, we should. I have learned that the collectors love it when they are included in our events, even the planning and execution of them. The CKCA is currently talking about doing a maker/collector boar hunt soon. I can think of other outings that would allow the makers and collectors to get to know each other and use their knives. Whenever these outings take place, there ought to be some photos or video taken and a report given on the forums to encourage more of them. I happen to know that some collectors would be happy to sponsor some regional events even volunteering to pay for the meal for the event. Not trying to tout the CKCA so much as to plant the idea that the collectors need some action to keep and generate interest. Heck we do to.

I'm just letting you know that someone is noticing your conversation and am cheering you on in your efforts. A lot of people have thanked you Ed, I know, for the things you do. Now I'd like to add mine. Thanks, Lin
Old 09-08-2010, 07:58 AM
Super Moderator

Hi Lin!

Thanks for the kind words! I'm not trying to do anything special...just want to make things better for all of us.
As tough as things are right now, we really need to take some new views and approaches to how we do things....from individuals to the shows. All too often we get stuck in our "comfort zone"....and many times it's not the best we can be doing.

Take Care Pal!

Caffreyknives@gmail.com

Tags
blade, knife, knives