MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Knife Making Discussions > Balisong Discussions

Balisong Discussions Customs to productions, discussions about balisongs/butterfly knives, what's the best and how to do those crazy tricks.

Old 01-12-2009, 01:49 AM
Registered

Question Regarding Typhoon Kits

Hey everyone. Looking to get a balisong. Last time I was messing with them the bm 42's were still 120-130 price range. Honestly I cannot afford the 190 dollar asking price now being the poor college student I am, but I need a bali for flipping. Was flipping a cheap jaguar m4 I had laying around and it died. Thinking about a typhoon, but (http://www.knifekits.com/vcom/produc...&products_id=9) Im a little concerned about this "Swing Safe edge" that Im seeing on all the models. I dont want anything other than a live blade. Why are they unsharpened now? is it ground to the point I could give it an edge on my sharpmaker? thanks in advance for the help.
Old 01-12-2009, 01:53 AM
Registered

"Our new "Swing Smart Edge" system is exactly that, "professionally ground, heat treated blade for performance, but unsharpened for the utmost in realism with added trick safety." Not only is it "unsharp", but has been deburred and is ready for pro-level flipping as soon as you assemble it. The tip is very pointy still and will "bite" you if you have bad technique, so realizm is preserved. And, best of all... you can master the most difficult tricks without fear of slicing injury."

I WANT SHARP! HELP ME PLEASE!!!!!!!!!!! I CANT USE A TRAINER FOR ANYTHING! HALF THE FUN OF FLIPPING LIES IN THE FACT THAT ITS A LIVE BLADE! Sorry guys ill stop now

Edit- Sorry meant to make that all one post. xD

double edit- What about the twist handle kit typhoon? its cheaper, and also unsharpened. Im not going to be modding for now. Any experience with it?

Last edited by Rebos; 01-12-2009 at 02:33 PM.
Old 01-21-2009, 05:24 PM
Registered

The new blades are pretty much identical to the old ones, only notable difference being that the actual cutting edge hasn't been ground on it. I put a good edge on one freehanded using only pocket stones and wet sandpaper, and it only took an hour or two. AUS-8 is great for that.

The Twister variant comes out of the box (err, bag) at just over 5 ounces, and all those grooves and notches provide plenty of grip. It requires far less work than the other typhoons to make into a decent flipper. It also looks nice when polished up. Pretty much only needs sandpaper (along with the torx driver, loctite, and round file of course). How it costs less than the solid variant, I don't know.

Tags
balisong, blade, butterfly knife, knife