MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Knife Making Discussions > The Newbies Arena

The Newbies Arena Are you new to knife making? Here is all the help you will need.

Old 07-25-2015, 06:43 PM

Second attempt

Second attempt, still having fun, it took a while as I have a job, a kid and a wife (dunno what needs more time...). I took your previous advice into account. Still a bit rough around the edges but I tend to like this, for now.

TECH SPECS
- ATS34 steel 5mm
- full tang, handle in Black Limba and colored with oil, finished with beewax.
- 2 x 8mm pins / steel (no idea what, came from local shop.
- Glass breaker-ish thing (I had no idea this is also called a skull crusher

First of all, the issues:
1. I definitely have an issue with symmetry. Still looking for a good technique to make the handle and the cutting edge 100% symmetrical (cutting edges is better than before).
2. I also have an issue with sharpening the knife. I think it's a matter of technique I guess, 'cause I can get it a bit sharp, but when sharpening it more it gets bad again...
3. I'm not getting the grind really sharp edged. I think a matter of technique and good material.
4. I definitely have an issue with patience ...

I also tried to make a metal bolster and ruined it completely, killed two drill bits and frustrated me as never before , need some more reading about this I'm afraid.

Again ATS34 because I had a piece on my bench... next attempt will be L-6.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray Rogers View Post
heat treated?
Tried second attemp on home-made oven, not 100% sure if it worked out fine. Good temperature, good color, no magnetism, good oil etc...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cthulhu View Post
blade type
I took your advice into account by making the blade more straight edge (a bit)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crex View Post
cutting advice
Carl, I used a angle grinder this time

To give an idea of the size, it's a bit large (well, not too big, but it's a bit heavy, maybe the 5mm steel -> should I make it thinner? I drilled a lot of holes in the handle to make it more lightweight, but it still weights 350 gr / 0.77 pounds -> you can kill a deer just by throwing the knife...

The appel is a general apple and the key a general key

EDIT: Nice detail: I'm from Belgium and no hunter/bushman/... (nothing to hunt here) . A friend of mine will take this knife (when sharpened well...) to Scotland for a hunting trip (deers and stuff) with only one task: using the knife in any circumstance. I'll put a picture of the result when it comes back

Gys
very new into the noble art of knife making

Last edited by Gys; 07-25-2015 at 07:00 PM.
Old 07-25-2015, 07:41 PM
Skilled

The profile looks good. You know how the handle feels, a little work and the next one will get better. Take a little more time on your grinding. A thick edge can be razor sharp and not cut well at all. Keep a piece of hemp rope to cut on and a good factory blade to compare yours with. This test will tell you how your grind/edge is working.

Back in the day we would have a good time with a barn, pellet gun and all the rats. You wouldn't want to eat them but the barns owner was happy to be rid of the varmints.
Old 07-26-2015, 08:27 AM
Steel Addict

What are you using for sharpening? If it gets sharp and then dull you may be changing the angle slightly which can fold the edge over. If you like using stones, Lansky makes good kits. Most of them have a clamp that holds the blade, and the stones have a rod attached that fits in pre drilled holes that the rods fit through to keep the angle the same on every stroke. As far as symmetry on the grind, it takes patience and practice. I bought a bubble jig, using it you're still grinding freehand, the jig just has a bubble level that you set for whatever angle you want. Helps you make sure that you're keeping the blade at the same angle as you grind. After making 3-4 knives with it I was able to make a good even blade without using it. It really helped me figure out a grip and stance that worked for me to keep the blade steady.
Old 07-26-2015, 11:37 AM
Steel Addict

Nice looking knife.
Old 07-26-2015, 02:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmccustomknives View Post
The profile looks good. You know how the handle feels, a little work and the next one will get better. ....f
Hi James, Tnx for the advice, I'll try the hemp rope. I think you're right about taking more time!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedstickJP View Post
What are you using for sharpening...
Hi Redstick, tnx for the advice. I'm using my grinder to start and a stone to finish. I have a sort of clamp, but I'very interested in the Lansky version, I'll check it out! Folding the edge over seems indeed to be the problem!

Quote:
Originally Posted by toolmkr20 View Post
Nice looking knife.
Hi Toolmkr, tnx for this.

I also need to mention I'm using a very low profile belt grinder for now (local store, cheap). The idea is to make 10 knifes before spending a lot of dineros for a pro grinder. Just to make sure it's not a one these expensive one day projects (this is my wife talking now) .
De lofi grinder has it's limits I noticed... (as has my technique, but working on that one

Gys
very new into the noble art of knife making

Tags
advice, angle, blade, bolster, drill, full tang, grind, grinder, handle, heat, home, knife, made, make, making, material, metal, pins, sharpening, shop, skull, steel, tang