MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Tool Time

Tool Time Let's talk shop. Equipment, Tips & Tricks, Safety issues - Post it here.

Old 01-06-2001, 08:41 AM
Ray Rogers

How Can I Mark a Coated Blade?

Is there anybody out there in the CKD Brain Trust that can tell me how to get a maker's mark onto a blade that has been coated?

I occasionally use a Teflon coating and, of course, my Etch-O-Matic won't mark on it. Commercially made knives with coated blades seem to have their mark painted on somehow.

If anyone could tell me how the marking is done and where to get the necessary supplies/equipment I'd appreciate it.
Old 01-06-2001, 11:45 AM
Don Cowles

Ray- short of silkscreening or pad printing (neither of which would be very durable), I can't image how you would do it *after* the blade is coated. I wonder if those coated commercial offerings were marked before the teflon was applied?
Old 01-06-2001, 05:50 PM
Ray Rogers

Don,

The commercial knives must have been coated first because the mark appears on top of the coating and not as an impression. Your suggestion of silk screening may be exactly right for what I've seen but I don't really know how that's done.
Old 01-06-2001, 07:45 PM
keith56

this sounds like silk screen or pad print to me also , this is fairly expensive equipment but is available as a service
through an industrial service . the durability depends on the product used. also the cost is minimal after the template is made , the template can be reused.

Tags
blade, knife, knives