MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Knife Making Discussions

Knife Making Discussions A place to discuss issues related to all aspects of the custom knifemaking community.

Old 08-25-2006, 07:14 AM

Movie knife

I just watched an old movie (1991) starring Peter Coyote called Exposure. The film featured Kali knife fighting like the more recent The Hunted.

In the movie, Peter Coyote carries a Randal model 14. The "bad guy" carries a custom that looks a lot like a Loveless but there are a few design features which lead me to question this. The top edge doesn't go all the way back to the guard, and the guard is wider (tip to butt) than most of his fighters. It's very elegant.

I was wondering if any of you knife-hounds who dwell over details in movies like I do have ever seen this film. If so, can you tell me who made that knife. There is another custom in the movie as well. Very beautiful.

It's a long shot, I know. I had to buy the movie second hand on Amazon because no one in town had it, but maybe I'll get lucky.

www.kansasknives.org

"Drawing your knife from its sheath and using it in the presence of others should be an event complete with oos, ahhs, and questions."
Old 08-25-2006, 08:34 AM
Founding Member / Moderator

I believe the other custom is a Joe Kious but I don't know who made the knife used by the bad guy. BTW, that movie is from a novel by Portugese author Rubem Fonseca, the book is called High Art and is quite a bit different from the movie ....

Your question may already have been answered - try the Search button first!

Old 08-28-2006, 07:01 PM
Steel Addict

heyy Andrew I had a guy about 3 or 4 years a go contact me to make him a knife like one in that movie when peter coyote goes with the other guy to get a knife and they are laid out on the table the double edged subhilt fighter i made one like that for this customer but with maroon micarta handles don't know who made the one in the movie though
Old 08-28-2006, 11:36 PM

That may be the Joe Kious knife Ray mentioned.

Yea I keep getting requests (three now) to make one like the knife used by Benicio Del Toro in The Hunted. I have refused thus far as I don't know who made that knife either. It's not that I won't make it, I just want to give due credit and not plagarize the design.

www.kansasknives.org

"Drawing your knife from its sheath and using it in the presence of others should be an event complete with oos, ahhs, and questions."
Old 08-29-2006, 12:27 AM
Hall of Famer

Send a message via Yahoo to hammerdownnow
Andy, in a nut shell Tom Brown designed the Tracker. Had Dave Beck custom make them for him. "Production" was too slow, so to cash in on the movie knife craze, Brown went with TOPS to make them. Ruin them I mean. TOPS Trackers are a POS. Dave Beck Trackers are SWEEET! TOPS did a cease and desist oder on Beck so now he does not make the exact knife. Do a web search for Dave Beck knives and follow the saga around the forums. I doubt TOPS would give you much trouble about making one or two (dozen) Heck we even had some in a kith awhile back. Of course we NT's did the primative versions made in the campfire...hahaha. I am sure Dave Beck could care less if you made them.

http://www.knifenetwork.com/forum/sh...ad.php?t=12572

Old 08-29-2006, 12:44 AM
Hall of Famer

Here is a good long thread that should give you some insight. If you need anything else like some pics of real origial Trackers, let me know.
http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/sh...k&pagenumber=1

Old 08-30-2006, 05:23 PM
Hall of Famer

I was hoping for a reply from Andy. We sometimes put too much into "propretory design". Just like everyone on the forums is generous, giving and sharing, the famous and big name knifemakers are just as if not more so. 99.99% of them have come to realize that they got where they are with a leg up from others and are more than willing to give others a boost. Most times, if you would like to copy a design you like, a simple call or email will get the blessing from a maker to copy "his design". It is all about repect and giving credit where credit is due. Even patent designs like the Spiderco hole can be copied legally for a nominal fee.

At some point in every makers career he comes to the realization that his super secret kick ass design has been done a hundred times in the past. It is not shameful. It is a tribute to mankind. We stand on the shoulders of giants and should embrace the notion. Landing on the moon started with the invention of the wheel. Just my thoughts on the subject.

Here is a pic of an Italian hole assist opening knife from the 1850's

Old 08-30-2006, 11:34 PM

Roc, I've been reading up on the Tracker knife, though I haven't opened that second link yet. The work computer has it blocked as "weapons" and I was too busy at home tonight before work. (Had a wreck this morning--It's all good though).

I feel as you do on design usage. Nothing is new--It's just rediscovered.

Gotta run for now, more on this later.

www.kansasknives.org

Old 09-09-2006, 09:33 AM
Hall of Famer

Here is a pic of a Beck made Tracker in damaskus with a good look at the grinds.

Big difference from the Tops Tracker. I have handled the Tops. it is just a crowbar. Reminds me of those China hatchet/clawhammers. Close study of the Beck Tracker or WSK would be the way to go if you try this pattern. IMO.

Here is a neat WKS with some different angle shots.
http://riflestocks.tripod.com/pics33.html

Old 09-09-2006, 12:53 PM

Cool! Those grinds are insane!

www.kansasknives.org

Tags
blade, knife, knives