MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > The Outpost

The Outpost This forum is dedicated to all who share a love for, and a desire to make good knives, and have fun doing it. We represent a diverse group of smiths and knifemakers who bring numerous methods to their craft.

Old 12-19-2003, 07:59 PM
Living Legend

Thumbs up I couldnt bring myself to do it!!

I just couldnt bring myself to purchasing a KMG grinder,a mini mill,and a 9inch disc grinder.i realy truly love making knives and thought that these tools would make me happier by speeding up production.i think speeding up production would only cause me stress.the more knives made is the more that must be sold,the more money spent on equipment is the more return i would need to offset cost.i have decided to only buy those tools if i ever decide to go full time ore if my health takes a plung(i have degrentive discs in my lower back).

what were the deciding factors for those of you with lots of assisting tools.

i would like to say with sincerity that theres nothing wrong with using those tools and someday i will also use them just curious as to when or why you went that route
Old 12-19-2003, 08:09 PM

For me it was a slow collection process, I have been making now part time but regularly for about 5 years. I tended to move up in equipment as my ability to make knives started to be limited by my equipment. I recently got a KMG because my homemad 2 X 72 was not accurate enough nor able to do hollow grinds. I got the homemade 2 X 72 when I couldn't make the knives I wanted to make on the 4 X 36. I never did do the file thing.
So for me it was not a question of easier, although it certainly is but a question of removing a quality limitation.
Steve

Old 12-19-2003, 08:59 PM
Skilled

I am new to knifemaking, but not new to making things in general. My personal experience is that when I have the better tools - the type that speed up the process or make it more efficient - I am able to relax and concentrate more on the desired outcome. When I'm using tools that make the process slower, more mentally and physically demanding, I get MORE stressed, more fatigued, and make MORE mistakes. When the tool works faster it lets ME slow down and do a better job 'supervising' the work. Since the efficient tools make the actual work go faster I don't feel the pressure to rush, and I proceed more carefully through the project. That's just me. Your mileage may vary.

-Ben
Old 12-19-2003, 09:05 PM
Living Legend

My question has always been, "Do I like good tools to make knives, or do I make knives because I like good tools?"
Old 12-19-2003, 11:41 PM
Hall of Famer

Just get a good belt grinder and a even better drill press. I've got a disk, infact i've got two and very seldom use either. Have no disire to get a mill, plus I have no space for one....

Old 12-20-2003, 10:16 AM
Living Legend

I dont currently use any of those tools.i hand forge to shape and use files ,homemade jigs ,sandpaper,and elbow grease to finish my blades,i do use a drillpress and metal cutting bandsaw.my skill level continues to gro with every knife i make.their are definate advantages to using equipment and i will have them someday just not yet.

Tags
forge, knife, knives