MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Knife Making Discussions > The Newbies Arena

The Newbies Arena Are you new to knife making? Here is all the help you will need.

Old 11-17-2012, 06:48 PM
Hall of Famer

I have bought steel from many suppliers. I now only order from Aldo (NJ Steel Baron) . If nothing else you have learned the difference between bar stock and precision ground stock. As you move along in your knife making you will appreciate that little extra in the stock. I think you will do well. just the fact you ask about this instead of just starting a trash talking thread says allot about your character. Welcome to this addiction we call knife-making

Old 11-18-2012, 07:43 AM

Welcome to the "learning curves" in the world of knifemaking.
It's been said enough....Aldo is good people and will treat you right. I get all my store bought steel from him and have never regretted a single piece. He's got the best 1084 available in my book.

Registered Master Artist - GA Council for the Arts
C Rex Custom Knives

Blade Show Table 6-H
Old 11-18-2012, 08:58 AM
Enthusiast

Again, thanks all for the comments. I look forward to meeting Aldo later today and approaching this in the most humble manner possible. I really want to to heat treat myself and willing to pay more for flat straight stock of 1084, I'll see what he can do for future orders.
Old 11-20-2012, 10:46 AM
Enthusiast

I met Aldo and his son, they are great guys, made some new friends. They definitely have my business and hooked me up with straighter 1084. They had some issues with their band saw, explains the uneven edge. They will be getting a water jet and a straightener and will be doing all the cuts in house, this should fix the quality issues. This is a small business and a labor of love, but they are expanding there shop at the moment. It was neat to see. As I go through the area occasionally, I'll just by stopping by to pick-up my orders direct in the future.

Last edited by Ruebarb; 11-20-2012 at 10:49 AM.
Old 11-21-2012, 09:06 AM

My hubby and I use 1095. We ONLY buy from Aldo. His 1095 is from Solingen, Germany, and the only time I have failures is when I hose the heat treat myself on a newly-ground blade. He and his son actually delivered an order in person when we were in New York, and we're pretty small potatoes for him.

He is an amazing guy, and his steel AND his prices are the best. We also get our orders on time, every time.

You could cut down a tree with a knife made from his 1095 steel post-heat treat.

Tags
angle, ats-34, back, bee, blade, common, edge, flat, for sale, forge, forging, hammer, hand, horn, knife, knifemaking, knives, make, man, material, notch, post, simple, steel, stock removal