MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Knife Making Discussions > The Newbies Arena

The Newbies Arena Are you new to knife making? Here is all the help you will need.

Old 03-24-2013, 05:33 AM

Thanks for sharing Mike. Most of these newbies aren't up to the task of making some of the conversions like you did. Bet it does "scream" at that speed. Guess what it boils down to is that we are gonna make knives, which involves cutting at some point.
I do most of my cutting hot at the forge with either my cutting hammer or hardy, but do saw up larger chunks of steel so they will fit in the forge with a portaband. The side grinder is mostly used for roughing out the profiles after hot cutting. Found them quite useful for bulking down some rough forgings as well and have even set primary bevels on larger blades.
But mostly, I use what's at hand depending on where I'm standing at the moment.

Registered Master Artist - GA Council for the Arts
C Rex Custom Knives

Blade Show Table 6-H
Old 03-26-2013, 05:48 PM
Master

Plenty of ways to accomplish the end result for sure. Those with deeper pockets: water jet, wire EDM, laser, plasma... I'd also used a saber/jig saw to cut steel and it was ok for a bit. I'll use that saw to rough cut 1/4"-1/8" Alu pieces for jigs and other shop related fixtures now.

The shop build-up is $$ though. It is amazing to look at what is out there and not see much but the wallet sure feels it. Add in materials, show expenses, the outlay for knives is quite an undertaking. Wayne Goddard's $50 knife shop book but while this is budget minded, many of us would easily hit north of $25K+ in a heart beat when done. I don't think it ends. Even though I am not as involved, some machines are still in mind to expand upon aspects I would like control over. That knife maker mentality of making everything under the sun and thensome.

It is fun and that is the key point in all this. Nice tooling helps in obtaining the final result. One could make due with much less though the efficiency would change as the machines need to be altered for each process.

Old 03-26-2013, 06:56 PM
Steel Addict

My favorite task for an angle grinder is taking scale off of a forged blank before taking it to the belt grinder.

Tags
angle, art, ats-34, band saw, bearing, blade, blades, brand, build, files, hand, handle, heat, knife, made, make, materials, nylon, project, steel, stock removal, supply, tiny, wood, woods