MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Knife Making Discussions > The Newbies Arena

The Newbies Arena Are you new to knife making? Here is all the help you will need.

Old 12-16-2012, 02:00 PM
Steel Addict

Secondary Bevels with 1 x 30 sander

Hi Everyone

I'm wondering if any new makers are having luck with 1 x 30 sanders to establish their secondary bevels?

I was fighting with multiple methods of freehanding secondary bevels (sharpening) last night. It took a long time and I'm not happy with the crappy coarse and fine stone I have. So, I'm looking at using a belt to put on the edge and then refine with better stones.

Any input would be great besides 'use a 2 x 72 grinder' as it's not yet an option. I would appreciate anyone's procedures for this process.

Thanks

Bowman
Old 12-16-2012, 02:58 PM
Enthusiast

This is a reply from one of my threads about sharpening with a 1X30 belt sander.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbsmith111
I've been using a 1x30 to sharpen mine, and have had a lot of trouble. Ray suggested that I tilt the machine back at the angle I wanted and then hold the knife at 90 degrees. It's still tricky, but this is much easier than trying to hold the knife at the right angle and maintain it. I had no luck at all sharpening on the platen. I've found that if I use extremely light pressure and use the part of the belt just above the platen it still creates a pretty flat edge which can then be flattened and leveled out with stones. This may or may not be good advice, but it's what I've had the most succes with so far.
Old 12-16-2012, 03:00 PM
Founding Member / Moderator

I've talked to some who use a 1x30 successfully. Use a fresh, sharp 120 grit belt (probably more than one unless the blade is very small) and be careful not to press down to hard - you don't want to 'notch' the edge on that narrow tang ...

Your question may already have been answered - try the Search button first!

Old 12-16-2012, 05:18 PM
Master

I use my 1x42 to establish my edge. I'm always nervous when doing it because my sander is extremely fast. Then I finish up on my ceramic spyderco bench stones. I wish there was a way to slow my belt sander down but I don't know how.

Old 12-16-2012, 05:46 PM
Founding Member / Moderator

metal99,

I slowed my 1x42 by changing the pulleys but most of the 1x42's out there use a direct drive instead of pulleys and you're out of luck with those. If your 1x42 has a motor that uses brushes then you can put a speed control on it and give it variable speed. These controls are usually referred to as router speed controllers and sell for $20 at Harbor freight. But, again, they do not work on brushless motors or motors that draw more than 15 amps ...

Your question may already have been answered - try the Search button first!

Tags
advice, angle, arrow, back, bee, blade, edge, flat, knife, notch, press, sharp, sharpening, spyderco, stone, tang