MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Knife Making Discussions > The Newbies Arena

The Newbies Arena Are you new to knife making? Here is all the help you will need.

Old 12-27-2016, 10:31 AM
Enthusiast

my first few knives

Let me start by saying i have asked several questions on here to help out and all help and suggestions have been great! I know they are not perfect by any means but i am just learning and trying to get into the hobby. These knives did have a forced patina because they had to sit for several weeks and i didnt want any rust to form on the 1084 steel i used. These pics are with the patina, however, i have since removed that and polished them up! Any applauses or criticism is welcome as i want to improve!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20161225_160217 (200x150).jpg (69.4 KB, 58 views)
Old 12-27-2016, 11:14 AM
Hall of Famer

The blades are really hard to see even after clicking on the thumbnail. The resulting picture is not much bigger than the thumbnail. Could you attach a larger picture?

Doug

Old 12-27-2016, 11:33 AM
Enthusiast

is this a better view doug? The edges are razor sharp but you cant tell in the pic due to them not being polished :-(
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20161225_160217 (1000x750) (950x713).jpg (463.1 KB, 47 views)
Old 12-27-2016, 12:20 PM
Master

yup those are bigger , a good start , keep at'r and look back on this pic in a year !!
good work......

Old 12-27-2016, 02:09 PM
Founding Member / Moderator

Looks like a good start. Hopefully, you have tried some of the usual tests up to and including breaking some of your blades. Until you actually use them harder than you would normally expect any reasonable person to use a knife and break a few you don't really know if you've made a real knife or merely something that resembles one ...

Your question may already have been answered - try the Search button first!

Old 12-27-2016, 02:17 PM
Guru

Patina? They look blued, but I guess that's from the temper. Good start, but they need a bit of hand finishing the handles which are the easiest to hand sand the sharp edges round where your hand will hold the knife. Just a bit on the rough side, but serviceable and look better than my first knives made from files. Be sure and tape over the blades before sanding the handle's edges, if there is a sharp edge that is where the handle will dig into your hand.
Old 12-27-2016, 04:00 PM
Enthusiast

i did try to break a few..i could push on the by hand, i pried with them and the only way they broke was in a vice hitting them with a hammer...i was SURPRISED! That is actually grey,l i did it with hot vinegar. it is gone now, i will try to get a better picture tonight of the polished blades.

Thanks for the compliments!! It is deffinately a work in progress
Old 12-27-2016, 04:51 PM
Skilled

I like all of the blade profiles

Gloria In Excelsis Deo!!
Old 12-27-2016, 05:54 PM

Great start! I am almost ready to show my first couple of knives. Can't wait to see what you're doing a few months from now!
Old 12-27-2016, 09:09 PM
Hall of Famer

Not bad work. You might try working the primary bevel back more to the spine or even all the way to the spine. Besides rounding the handle a little more you might see if you could include a little palm swell. All in all, I wish my first blades looked so good.

Doug

Old 12-28-2016, 07:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmontg View Post
Patina? They look blued, but I guess that's from the temper. Good start, but they need a bit of hand finishing the handles which are the easiest to hand sand the sharp edges round where your hand will hold the knife. Just a bit on the rough side, but serviceable and look better than my first knives made from files. Be sure and tape over the blades before sanding the handle's edges, if there is a sharp edge that is where the handle will dig into your hand.
What Jim is saying here about the handles. One good way is to take the knife and use it to whittle a big board, do a bunch of other cutting exercises and you will feel "hot spots" in your using hand. These are the corners or rubs that you need to focus on in shaping your handles. Knives that are uncomfortable or hurt to use just don't get used.
Otherwise looking pretty good for just starting.

Registered Master Artist - GA Council for the Arts
C Rex Custom Knives

Blade Show Table 6-H
Old 12-28-2016, 11:23 AM
Enthusiast

here's the 3 i have and they are only to 600 grit sandpaper, the pics show what appears to be scratches but i assure you there aren't any! Hope yall enjoy, im very proud of these 3 first time knives. 2 are red oak handles one is a cherry handle
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20161225_160238 (850x638).jpg (326.6 KB, 26 views)
File Type: jpg 20161227_210331 (850x638).jpg (281.5 KB, 24 views)
File Type: jpg 20161227_210506 (850x638).jpg (366.0 KB, 24 views)
Old 12-28-2016, 06:05 PM
Guru

They look real good for your first's deffinitly, what ray was getting at about breaking them wasn't using them hard and hitting them with the hammer. first you heat treat a blade strap it into a vise and snap it in half,,,,if it just bends and wont break its to soft when it does break you look at the grain to see how you did in the heat treat then you repete that and use the knife and abuse it first you have to check the grain to know your heat treat is good, there is a lot more to it than what I am describing here so when your ready to heat treat and break your next blade either send me a private message and ill help ya get through it or just put up a post I am sure there are many of us here that are willing to walk you through it....remember if your knife is not heat treated well its not a knife its a knife shaped object. so if you have to break a few blades to test them and get the heat treat right it will show you how to make your future knives a real knife. I think the goal of most of us here is to make knives that will well out perform any manufactured knife you can get in a store that's why a lot of buyers buy custome knives and one of the reasons they cost so much more than a factory knife, let us know when your ready to test your knives and learn to heat treat
Old 12-28-2016, 08:49 PM
Enthusiast

I really appreciate that dtec1...it will be awhile before I try a few more but I will deffinately be in contact! I know the first one I quiched I dropped out of the tongs and it broke in half on the concrete if that means anything. I'm so new to this don't beat me up to bad!. man, I really appreciate the advice and offer!!
Old 12-29-2016, 09:15 AM
Guru

well if it broke from dropping it it got hard, but there are a few other things that you want to check to. don't worry about being new I was in your exact spot almost 2 years ago and I have learned ALOT in that time from everyone on the forum, when your ready let us know

Tags
1084, art, back, bee, blade, blades, files, hammer, hand, handle, handles, hobby, hot, knife, knives, made, palm, profile, razor, razor sharp, sand, sanding, sharp, steel, temper