MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Factory Knife Customization & Mid-Tech Boards > Randall Knives Forum

Randall Knives Forum Discuss Randall Knives

Old 09-15-2005, 08:51 PM
Steel Addict

Send a message via Yahoo to Raindog
"Real" Confederate Bowies

I understand that the Randall Confederate Bowie is supposed to be pretty close to the style bowie knife often carried by confederate troops during the War of Northern Aggression. However, I am haing some trouble actually finding picturse or documentation of authentic confederate era bowies. So now I am turning to the "experts" here. Anyone have any good links or info on confederate bowies? Sheath info would be a plus.
Thanks.

-gary

- Ronald Reagan
Old 09-16-2005, 10:41 AM
Steel Addict

Send a message via Yahoo to Raindog
I wrote the last message last night when it was very late and I was tired. Now, in the light of day, I'll clarify a little. All of my research on Confederate Bowies seems to bring up either a "D" Guard style, a homemade style that resembles a bowie only in its massiveness, drawings of the era, or reproductions from the era. I did find the knife below. It is what they are calling a naval bowie that is adapted as a rifle bayonet. Very interesting.

What I am really researching is for open guard bowies, in the classic shape, that are actually from the era. Picures, not drawings. I would be much obliged for any help.

-gary

- Ronald Reagan

Last edited by Raindog; 01-05-2006 at 09:25 PM.
Old 09-16-2005, 11:01 AM
Steel Addict

Gary,
Check the civil war section on e-bay. They usually have a couple D- Guards up for auction with pictures.

Steve
Old 09-16-2005, 12:55 PM
Skilled

Gary,
...Here in Savannah folks have a high level of interest in all things related to the war of northern aggression. I have seen several knives that are described as being confederate war era that have blades very similar to the Randall Confederate Bowie. The Bowie style clip blade and no choil cutout seem to be about universal among them. Most of them have wooden coffin style handles, often with pins and S shaped double hilts. There are several companies making reproductions that are along the same style. It is hard to tell which are really Civil War relics and which are reproductions. I have seen smaller knives that are supposed to be civil war era that have the D-handles. I really have no idea what is authentic and what is not. Among our many interesting attributes here in Savannah is a tendancy to change stories to make them more interesting or heroic than what really happened. Around here a Model 13 style blade is often called a frog sticker.
Jeff

Tags
knife, knives