MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Factory Knife Customization & Mid-Tech Boards > Randall Knives Forum

Randall Knives Forum Discuss Randall Knives

Old 08-03-2005, 06:09 PM

Tune, 54 mph, are you suicidal?

Here's a photo of two cyclists who were puffing their way up from mile 44 on the Blueridge Parkway, while I was pulled over taking a gander at the western view.

Cheers!

David
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Copy of DSCN6087.jpg (23.4 KB, 63 views)
File Type: jpg Copy of DSCN6086.jpg (17.4 KB, 62 views)

Old 08-03-2005, 07:44 PM

Exclamation Glad you asked....

171mph actual for the then National record on my Pro-Comp Kawasaki dragbike in 1987. (7.47" E.T.) My email still reflects this number...

165 indicated on a Kawasaki ZX1200 two years ago. Ran out of highway with no more room to get faster....

145 indicated in a friend's turbo Porsche Carerra. He shifted into fourth then...! Same stretch of road. Crazy car: 400 hp.!

60+ MPH on a street luge down a STEEP 1/4mile hill in New Hampshire 5 years ago. Most terrifying ride of them all.

I'm a little nuts.

Coop

?? New website improvement for 2010 - Over 5000 images searchable by maker's name! ??
Old 08-04-2005, 05:34 PM
Skilled

....I was thinking about this thread. Just a quick warning to folks who may be thinking about a high speed run. Most new cars come fitted with tires that are capable of maintaining speeds near the vehicles top speed. Many of the tires on the racks in your local Walmart or tire store are lesser grade (lower priced) tires and are not rated for speeds anywhere near your vehicles top speed. Check your tires carefully before making any high speed runs. Tires have letters on the sidewall which indicate their top speed capability. Well worn tires should not be taken to high speeds. Heat is a big enemy of tires at high speed. Underinflation can cause excessive heat.
Your now very careful grandpa,
Jeff
Old 08-04-2005, 05:48 PM

Very good advice, Jeff!

It seems the older we get, the more we value our lives, even though according to the biological clock we have less time left than all those young whipper-snappers!

BTW, about five years ago a young Porsche driver and his three passengers (1 male, 2 female) were all killed when the car, which police estimated was travelling at approximately 180 mph lost control on a straight three lane expressway. Later it was determined that one of the rear tires failed at the excessive speed!

Hey folks, these speed limits do have a purpose.

Cheers!

Moosehead

Old 08-04-2005, 06:24 PM

Jeff

Thanks for your advice! What brand tires do you guys usually go for?

And my other question is, what's the rarest car you guys have ever seen? It took me until I came to the mid-west to see an Aston Martin Vanquish on the road. Other than that one, probably the Porsche Gt-3 which I saw at a parking lot of Home Depot.
Old 08-04-2005, 06:43 PM
Steel Addict

Good call Jeff! Don't want anybody to think we are promoting high speed driving!.

As for my Ferrari 400i , I run Pirelli P-0 's on HRE mags and twin ajustable racing shocks all around.
Pretty slick set up and stays glued to the tarmac, with predictable slide on hard banks. SWEET!

My D90 Landrover glides at 90mph on 33" BFG Mudterrains with HD Old Man Emus suspension. Yeeehahh!

Old 08-04-2005, 07:47 PM
Steel Addict

I once had my BMW 3 series up to 167kmh and that was fast enough for me

Car handles like a dream at speed

But the whole thing is factory stock so it is set up the way it should be

Pirelli p-6000's are the recommended tires for the car so that is what I run

5 years old and 200,000 kmh's on the clock but I dont want to get rid of it because it has just been too durn good
Old 08-04-2005, 09:31 PM
Skilled

Goodrich G-Force TA KDWS on my Camaro. This tire is a compromise. If I was never gonna drive in the rain I would have gone with something with better dry traction. Bridgestone Desert Duelers on my wife's Honda Pilot.
Jeff
Old 08-04-2005, 10:49 PM
Skilled

Send a message via MSN to chrisinbeav Send a message via Yahoo to chrisinbeav
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sufler
Jeff

Thanks for your advice! What brand tires do you guys usually go for?

And my other question is, what's the rarest car you guys have ever seen? It took me until I came to the mid-west to see an Aston Martin Vanquish on the road. Other than that one, probably the Porsche Gt-3 which I saw at a parking lot of Home Depot.
As far as tires go there are two that I would choose...

Pirelli P zero's
and Kumho Ecsta Supra and Victoracer. I personally have a set of Kumho's on my Mustang. Really nice tires!!! And cost effective too.

The rarest car I've seen.... I've seen a couple.

A Delahey (I hope I spelled that right) Not sure what year...
and a McLaren F1 driving down the freeway (California car)
Now that I think of it, I've seen all kinds of rare cars. I grew up around exotics. Only because my uncle worked on them.

Here's a list of my fav's that I've seen...
2005 Bentey Continental GT, Austin Martin Vanquish, Porshce Carrera GT, Ferrari F50, Ferrari Enzo, Lotus Elise, Lotus 340R (seriously bad ass car), Maybach 62, a real Shelby Cobra, etc... just to name a few. I've also seen lots of these cars due to where I used to work.

Chris Nilluka
Old 08-04-2005, 10:55 PM

Nice list of rare cars. But, how about the De Lorean?
Old 08-04-2005, 11:32 PM
Steel Addict

Send a message via Yahoo to Raindog
You guys haven't seen rare cars. How about this: Last year, I saw the Weinermobile heading west on I-20 between Anniston and Birmingham, AL. Man, that ride is a chick magnet!

-gary

- Ronald Reagan
Old 08-05-2005, 07:48 AM
Steel Addict

The rarest car I ever saw was an Aston Martin DB4 Bond mobile out in CA. Didn't see the Weiner mobile though... :confused:

Old 08-05-2005, 12:16 PM

130 mph in a 1969 GTO with a 400ci..and 110 mph on a 1980 Harley Wideglide that I had cammed and changed sprockets on..I can still hear the sound of both those engines..schwweeet.
Old 08-05-2005, 06:28 PM
Skilled

Sufler, No I,m in RSA. Wide open spaces, very few cops.

Pirelli P 0 is probably the best, but I normally go for BF Goodridge, Michelin or Yokohama simply because it's much cheaper although I allways get those rated for high speed.

Rarest car? See one every day. I'm busy restoring a little Fiat 500. I understand that in some countries they are in abundance, but where I stay your lucky to see one in 5 years. For those of you who don't no, it's even smaller than a Leyland mini and fitted with a rear-mounted 500cc two stroke machine. Areal knockout LOL.
Old 08-05-2005, 10:46 PM

Rarest car & most valuable... 1935 Bugatti 'Atlantic'

My Grandfather-in-law knows Peter Williamson personally. I had the priviledge to look closely at this car purchased and restored by Dr. Peter Williamson from NH, in Greenwich CT last year. (Bought for less than $500,00, restored at 1.2 million, valued currently at 8+million... !)

From a Bugatti website:

A popular choice after dozens of Bugattis were featured in this year's Pebble Beach Concour d'Elegance, Peter Williamson was awarded the Best of Show trophy for his 1935 Bugatti Type 57SC Atlantic.

"I thought that we had a pretty good chance of winning," Williamson told MSN Autos. "But the competition here is like no other automobile show; there is just one remarkable car after another. And I was just one remarkable car out of probably fifty."

Between 1936 and 1938, only 42 Bugatti Type S and Type SC chassis were built, and only three of those received the legendary Atlantic body. Just two Atlantics exist today, and both of them were at Pebble Beach this year.

The S in the name means that the chassis was lowered compared with other Type 57 models, and the chassis was also shortened. The C designates that the 3.3-liter straight-eight engine was supercharged, producing 210 horsepower.

One of the most noticeable and unique features of the Atlantic coupes is the exposed rivets down the center line of the body. The Atlantic prototype was made of magnesium which posed challenges in joining the material and the rivets were used.

The two Bugatti Type 57SC Atlantic coupes that were at Pebble Beach were produced with aluminum bodies, but the rivets were still used.

The other 1937 Bugatti Type 57SC Atlantic is owned by Ralph Lauren and is a previous Best of Show winner at Pebble Beach in 1990.

?? New website improvement for 2010 - Over 5000 images searchable by maker's name! ??

Tags
blade, knife, knives