MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > The Display Case

The Display Case A place to post your latest knives and creations. Let the Knife Network community see your work first!

Old 01-21-2018, 08:47 AM

My 2nd knife! Its hard but so fun!

Hello everyone! Just registeted but ive been reading the forums a lot for a month. Incredible ressources around here. I just started my second knife. A simple 1/8" 01 steel 9" pairing knife inspired (a lot) by the journyman from cut brooklyn.

Im really struggling to keep bevels steady and nice with my cheap 1x30 beltsander. I wont even talk about the ricasso.

Im wondering about either switching to hand filing or building my own 2x72.

Anyways, heres a pic. Ill post some more once i have ht and put a handle on.

Old 01-21-2018, 02:07 PM
Skilled

The image you posted is quite large but the knife looks great so far! I started with no belt sanders, just draw-filing with bastard mill files to obtain the bevels. I used round files, sanding attachments in the drill press, and some Dremel for handle shaping. Much hand sanding. My knives took forever but the results were very good in my opinion. The first useful tool I purchased was a Harbor Freight 4X36 belt sander for about $60. Not the best tool in the shed but well worth the small amount of money. It won't move steel very efficiently but helps with a lot of tasks.
I've since upgraded to a KMG 2X72 and a 6X48 belt sander. Things are going faster now. Prior to purchasing these tools I feel that I learned valuable fit & finish lessons with hand tools. I encourage you to keep up the great work with whatever tools you evolve to! Warning: This is an addictive pursuit.

Old 01-21-2018, 04:22 PM

Sorry about the picure size:/ ill figure it out. It sure is addictive. Im always thinking about ways to improve and i keep reading and watching tutorials.
Old 01-25-2018, 09:42 AM
Banned

nice post

Tags
2x72, bee, belt, building, cheap, common, drill, files, hand, handle, hardware, home, image, knife, knives, pairing knife, post, press, sander, sanding, simple, small, steel, tools, trap