MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Community Discussion Boards > Knife Photography Discussion

Knife Photography Discussion Share and improve your techniques on knife photography. Web and print imaging discussions welcome. Come on in ...

Old 04-07-2009, 02:27 PM
Steel Addict

For Buddy, Coop or anyone re: backround

I will lay myself on the line for positive/negative comments regarding the backround of this picture. This is a hunting knife so I thought it might look interesting to give it a hunting type backround. I would like to know what everyone thinks about the backround. Be truthful, I can take it. I photographed it with the tip up because I could not get the lighting right with the tip down. Thanks.

Old 04-07-2009, 03:38 PM
Enthusiast

Barbara, I think the background is an excellent choice for this knife. It does not distract from focusing on the knife and is a perfect theme for a hunting knife.
Old 04-07-2009, 04:56 PM
Master

Barbara- I'm no photographer and really have no business commenting in this forum, but since you asked.... Overall I like the background with the exception of the one big buck (center right) that keeps staring at me.
-Dave

"The choice isn't between success and failure; it's between choosing risk and striving for greatness, or risking nothing and being certain of mediocrity." - Keith Ferrazi
Old 04-07-2009, 05:39 PM
Steel Addict

Cals, thanks for your feedback, I appreciate it.

Dave, your comments made me laugh. You're right though he is kinda staring. (Buck in the scope look) I will have to watch knife placement on the backround.

Last edited by Barbara Turner; 04-07-2009 at 05:47 PM.
Old 04-07-2009, 06:36 PM

Looks good Barbara. I like it.

One of the cool things that you and Buddy are doing is photographing works to please yourself. When I do that, I also step a little bit to the left of center and experiment.

These are those experiments that either stink or work. This is a case where the style of knife and it's intention are supported by the background.

Now, there is a lot to absorb, but the good thing is it keeps the viewer's interest. The coloring is a bit too close to the handle to give it prominence, but what the hay.

The lighting and composition layout is wonderful.

And, you're right Dave. That dang buck is winking at us!

(Barbara, this would have given Buddy a REAL run for his money in the last contest. Nice. )

Coop

?? New website improvement for 2010 - Over 5000 images searchable by maker's name! ??
Old 04-07-2009, 07:55 PM
Enthusiast

Looks good to me.
Bkgnd is subdued so it doesn't fight with the knife for attention.

Tip up doesn't bother me at all. I like the way you arranged the sheath and knife.

If I were to pick a nit...
You have a little more space between the tip of the knife (highest point) & the top of the frame, than you do between the bottom of the knife and the frame.
Makes it a little bottom heavy to me.
Again, a small nit.
I like to have a little more space at the bottom than the top.
Much like what you have with your border.

Another thing you could do, just for fun & as an experiment, is to make the background much smaller (crop it in) and have the knives 'break out' of the background.
When it works, it adds some interesting shapes, and lessens the impact of the background pattern. Not that this needs it, just another tool in the box

Old 04-07-2009, 11:49 PM
Steel Addict

Coop,

Thanks for the comments. Ah, I couldn't have used it for the last contest due to the fact that it's not in portrait mode, but more importantly I just shot the picture a couple of days ago.
As far as the handle and backround being similarly colored, I guess I am just drawn to that look. I will eventually break out of the box. I have some different backrounds, one of which is pretty wild, I just have to find the right knife to try it with.

Ebbtide,

I tried centering the knife & sheath together. The top of the sheath and the bottom of the knife are pretty close to being centered. I could have centered only the knife. Good point. Can you elaborate more on cropping in the backround.

I like the backround myself but since it's only 12 x 12 in size it is very difficult to compose on. No room for error.

Old 04-08-2009, 07:57 AM

Hi Barbara,

Ebbtide's comments on cropping (and I agree with him entirely) would also have netted you a more distinguished portrait mode photo. As it is, it's 587wide x 600tall, so it is borderline portrait.

Your centering is perfect. What he meant was to show a touch more background below the sheath, equalling the distance that the upper tip and sheath have from the upper frame. I am a real stickler on my own work for even spacing on insets and around the borders. (It's not always attainable, or perfect, but when it's off it creates an imbalance that I find disruptive.)

All that said, you may not have had more background to show. So you made do the best you can. (If you did and you cropped the sides a bit more, you would have a truly remarkable portrait mode image. )

Good stuff.

Coop

?? New website improvement for 2010 - Over 5000 images searchable by maker's name! ??
Old 04-08-2009, 01:03 PM

Barbara - I like the image as you have presented it, background and everything. Everyone's comments above have merrit and are good things to check on each image you make. Re: the similarity of colors/shades in the picture - You can always select out the background and either modify the color as we discussed recently on this forum, OR, you can simply desaturate the background - take all the color out of it (feel free to then use a filter, like a slight sepia tone for example). Here's an example where I couldn't decide which I liked better so I kept both - but at least you can see the effect.

Avatar ~ custom crank case cover from 1969 Harley shovelhead chopper

Last edited by Buddy Thomason; 04-08-2009 at 01:17 PM.
Old 04-08-2009, 01:33 PM
Steel Addict

Coop,

Thanks for the explanation, now I understand what Ebbtide was describing. Unfortunately with this particular backround I had very little choice in knife placement, due to it's small size. I was thinking of shooting the backround and knife separately to allow a little leeway in placement. Then I could adjust the knife pic a little more to fit it in the relatively small area.

Buddy,

that's also a very good idea about desaturation and then using a sepia tone. I will have to play around with that. I really appreciate everyone's time to post a comment. I like that last backround you posted, subtle but very pleasing. The knife is beautifully placed and nicely detailed.

Thanks all for the continued help, critique and suggestions.

Last edited by Barbara Turner; 04-08-2009 at 04:34 PM.
Old 04-08-2009, 07:07 PM
Steel Addict

I have done something a little different with the backround per Buddy's suggestion and cropped to the portrait aspect per Coop. I also added a little texture to the backgound. Does it improve the image or have little effect?

Just for Dave I placed the Buck on the left with a Moose on the right in the second picture
In the 3rd pic I tried to hide all faces to protect the innocent.

LARGE DROP POINT HUNTER Original Image

LARGE DROP POINT HUNTER Revised Image

LARGE DROP POINT HUNTER Another Revision

This image has been revised per Cal's suggestion of making the knife larger

Last edited by Barbara Turner; 04-09-2009 at 03:17 PM.
Old 04-08-2009, 07:39 PM
Enthusiast

Barbara, when I look at the photo I see more wildlife than knife. I didn't get that impression with the first photo.
Old 04-08-2009, 08:56 PM
Steel Addict

Cal,

You are right, I don't like the 2nd picture either. The backround looks kinda dirty (bad choice of color). I know you posted before I added a 3rd picture, so let me know if the 3rd one is better. I also did a slight rotation of knife and sheath.

I personally like the 3rd one but it may be a hair too bright.

Last edited by Barbara Turner; 04-08-2009 at 08:58 PM.
Old 04-08-2009, 09:38 PM
Enthusiast

Yes, the 3rd one is better. The animals kind of diappear in the background and now the knife is the main focus.
Personally I would like to see the knife bigger and that should make the wildlife appear smaller.
Old 04-09-2009, 07:39 AM

That third image is composed nicely. My favorite in that regard.

I don't like the computerized shadow. Not coming in at 10 o'clock anyway. In your original, there is shadow on the facing side of the knife, from, say, 12 oclock. In your final, for my trained eye, it is easily apparent. ( I love a natural shadow.)

You have learned how to extract really clean, I must give you props. I used extractions w/PS shadows for years and LOVED them. It's all an evolution of taste and style.

I love to see us all learn from these threads.

Coop

Tags
hunting knife, knife, knives