MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Knife Making Discussions > The Newbies Arena

The Newbies Arena Are you new to knife making? Here is all the help you will need.

Old 01-22-2013, 04:14 PM

My first knife build

This is my first new post here. With subsequent posts I'll put up better images.

I chose an inexpensive Pakistani pattern welded full tang blade. I did not expect very good quality steel, but I was pleasantly surprised. It takes and keeps an edge pretty well. The edge is a bit toothy, which is good for some uses, not for others. The scales are Dymondwood, attached with epoxy. The mosaic pins are also epoxied in. Overall length is 8 3/4".

I reshaped the blade somewhat, and shaped the handle on a Craftsman 2x42 belt/disc grinder. Although there are a few flaws, I'm happy with this first attempt. The sheath was pre-made, and I have boned it and dipped in hot beeswax, so it retains the knife securely. Maybe too securely. I expect it will loosen somewhat over time.
Old 01-22-2013, 06:01 PM
Founding Member / Moderator

Welcome to the forum! Please fill out your profile so we know where you are. Don't worry about your pictures not showing up, they won't until you get through your initiation period ...

Your question may already have been answered - try the Search button first!

Old 01-24-2013, 07:09 PM

Here's a better picture;

Old 01-24-2013, 08:18 PM
Skilled

Not bad at all!
Old 01-24-2013, 09:57 PM
Master

That's really nice man! Did you dye the sheath too? Or did it get that nice dark tone from the bees wax?

Last edited by metal99; 01-25-2013 at 12:26 PM.
Old 01-25-2013, 02:39 AM

First, thank you very much for the compliments.

Actually I bought the sheath, and I can't remember where. I wish I could because I would like a few more like it. I think it is a discontinued item from Brisa.fi. It came stained brown, which was darkened more by the beeswax as you can just about see in the two pictures. The earlier picture shows the sheath before boning and waxing. I think the rivets are an important feature on most sheaths, especially near the mouth, in that they will keep the knife from cutting the stitching over time. I wish more sheath makers would include them. But I will start making my own sheaths soon at any rate.
Old 01-25-2013, 12:30 PM
Master

Cool man, I enjoy sheath making. As far as the rivets go. If you use a welt in between the two layers of leather you won't have to worry about the stitching getting cut.

Old 01-25-2013, 02:03 PM

Actually, I had another sheath start to let go in spite of a well sewn welt. It happened surprisingly quickly. Especially at the mouth of the sheath, the knife can cut away at the welt and get to the stitching as the knife is repeatedly inserted and withdrawn.* Rivets also provide a little extra resistance against rough handling or accident.

*Edit: This is especially true when the knife is retained by friction or elasticity of the sheath since the knife stretches the mouth of the sheath every time it is removed from the sheath and replaced.

Last edited by thales; 01-25-2013 at 08:36 PM. Reason: Clarity

Tags
art, blade, build, craftsman, edge, full tang, handle, hot, knife, leather, made, making, man, mosaic, pattern, pins, post, rivets, scales, sheath, sheaths, steel, tang, wax