MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Factory Knife Customization & Mid-Tech Boards > Knife Kits Forum

Knife Kits Forum New to the art of knife making? Learn to make awesome knives, using advanced hands-on training inside. From KnifeKits.com.

Old 07-25-2002, 10:06 PM
Steel Addict

Drill Bits

Can anyone help me, what type of bits should I buy for the kit knives? Titanium,cobalt tipped,or just regular hss.
I want to drill alittle titanium and some stainless once in a while, but mostly just to get the kits done

Vince
Old 07-26-2002, 02:11 AM

Vince-
The cobalt or titanium bits are priced similar enough and work fine and last a "bit"longer (sorry) than conventional. I've made a number of stainless backspacers from 440C* and the cobalt works just fine. Use a cutting fluid on the stainless to keep it cool as you drill.

*HOWEVER, that stainless was not tempered yet! That makes a real big difference. Ex. I'm currently making some kitchen knives using blades purchased from Jantz. These have been heat-treated and or Cryo treated, so therefore TEMPERED stainless...

For hardened steels such as this, you need (expensive) Carbide Bits. BTW-I paid nearly $25 for the 1/4" bit I used to make larger holes (than the 1/8" supplied) in the kitchen knives.
You then need to make sure it runs fast and cool as they tend to be very brittle.

Hope this helps...

Dennis

Yeah Baby!

edit-It occurs to me to say, other than the example I gave of the backspacer, the only other need (that comes to mind) for drill bits on the KitKnives would be for drilling the screw holes and countersinks (to accomodate the torx screw heads) in scales when making your own. In the KnifeKit Support section you'll find instructions and bit sizes for your scales in the frequently asked questions. If that's not clear drop me a e-mail and I'll fill you in. Den-

Oh yeh, I forgot to say, their coming out next week with custom-made just for the kits, countersink drill bits! Should make it a lot easier to drill accurate countersinks at consistent depth.

Last edited by Osprey Guy; 07-26-2002 at 02:19 AM.
Old 07-26-2002, 02:24 AM

BTW Vince-
It's all your fault...you got me thinking and tomorrow (I guess that would be today), if all goes as expected, I'll be ordering my Kalamazoo grinder today...and of course DDR attachment! Yeah!!!

I'll be grinding all kinds of nifty stuff before you know it...

Dennis

YEAH BABY!!!!
Old 07-26-2002, 02:30 AM
Steel Addict

Osprey Guy

Dennis I don't know if you saw my earlier post but I ordered the Kalamazoo this morning,from Canada too.
It will be here next Fri. yahoooooooooo!

Thanks for the drill bit reply

Vince
Old 07-26-2002, 07:10 AM

Dennis filled-in good info on the drills.

For the folder kits, you need a drill chuck that will go down to 1/32"--which is really small!

I have that Kalamazoo 1" grinder and the attachment, too. It's very good quality and will prove very usefull for years. I haven't explored it nearly enough.

Coop

?? New website improvement for 2010 - Over 5000 images searchable by maker's name! ??
Old 07-26-2002, 07:15 AM
Steel Addict

Coop

I just bought a Craftsman 110" drill press today for a song,I can hardley wait till the kits acually get here!

I want to learn more about anodizing Ti so I can make and color my own Liners and bolsters.

Got some really neat ideas swimming around in my head!

Vince

PS: Coop how do you get an avitar on youn info side
Old 07-26-2002, 08:59 AM

Vince,

Check out the tutorials (how to's) link a the top of the page. There is a tutorial on anodizing and it covers making an anodizer!

Man, that is a big drill press - 110"

Congrats on getting the Kalamazoo grinder, it looks like we're all heading down a path of no return!! Ain't it great!

Dennis,

You will love the K'zoo and the finishing attachement. Don't forget the swivel plate!!!!!! It is soooooooooo sweet to finish the edges of your knife in seconds and then flip the unit vertical and start working the slcak belt on the scales!!!! You won't know how you did without it! (Well, yes you will lots of elbow grease and tons of time)

Coop,

Between your new KMG and this little K'zoo you're set!

Bob Sigmon

Tags
forge, knife, knives