MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Knife Making Discussions > The Newbies Arena

The Newbies Arena Are you new to knife making? Here is all the help you will need.

Old 10-27-2012, 07:59 AM
Enthusiast

A bit of history. English word for one who fits handles to an existing blade... HAFTER. There is nothing wrong with buying blades and fitting handles to them as a beginner most often does, BUT he or she MUST tell the customer that the blade was NOT ground by the person selling the knife. This is just basic integrity. (its also a good teaching tool)
Old 10-27-2012, 09:59 PM
Skilled

Quote:
Originally Posted by GHEzell View Post
There is a local guy who makes knives, and was set up at a crafts show I went to a few years back. I gave his knives a good looking over while he was dealing with a prospective customer. They looked pretty good from arms length, but I could not help but notice that the edges were quite thick, and not sharp. I talked with him for awhile, and found out that he buys his steel from Lowes, and thinks carbon steels are too brittle to make a good knife. I talked with him a bit longer, then walked away.

I walked away, but I was sorely tempted to take out my little pocket seax and whittle slivers off one of his blades to demonstrate the advantage of a hardened, carbon steel blade with an actual edge!

I still have his business card... perhaps I'll visit him yet.

That has happened to a predominant maker. Unfortunately each maker and their customer base will decide how good a job they will do. There is no policing organization to stop the shoddy workmanship. It is up to us as makers and collectors to call on the carpet those who are not honest in their dealings regarding blatant misrepresentation. That also has happened and shut down one maker/Hafter, at least for a while.

Chuck Richards ABS J.S.
Old 10-28-2012, 08:31 AM
Skilled

I think I would have .

Sam
Old 10-28-2012, 12:44 PM
Skilled

Quote:
Originally Posted by AUBE View Post
I faced the same dilemma quite a few years back when a local "maker" was featured in a knife magazine. What the magazine failed to state, and what the maker didn't tell his customers, was that all the knives he sold were made from preground blades bought from Jantz, etc. He wasn't able to grind his own stuff.

Now there is nothing wrong with using a blade made by someone else....as long as your are HONEST about it. Thats what disturbed me about this individual...he wasn't honest.

Many of my own blades are budget oriented knives with a "user-grade" finish where the fit and finish lacking. I specifically point that out in the product listing and on our "about us" page, plus offer a full refund if a customer isn't happy. My conscience is clear.

What did I do about that maker? I was tempted to call him out, but I didn't. I didn't want the drama...I got enough of that in grade school. I encouraged him to grind his own blades, and offered subtle hints on being more honest with his dealings without being insulting about it. I think he went out of business before either happened....I haven't heard anything about him in a good 15yrs or more.

Also sometimes people are called out and customers just don't care. I know of a few people that have lied like crazy to market knives. Their lies were made public. Many customers just said "I don't care, I like their work" and they continue to be successful. With thousands of makers out there I personally wouldn't do business with a liar, but to each his own I guess.
After thinking this over a bit, I agree that your temptation is...tempting....but might have been a missed opportunity. Perhaps the right word in his ear, along with a practical demonstration, would have inspired this guy to clean up his act and become a better knifemaker, depending on his motivations. (Is he motivated by money or by love of crafting? I dunno)

Or maybe not. Call me naive, and at 50 years old you'd think I'd be comfortably cynical, but I think everyone can benefit from a kind word and a bit of encouragment. If it's rejected out of hand, THEN slam him.

Tags
advice, arrow, art, back, bee, blade, design, folding, folding blade, forge, handmade, handmade knives, hobby, knife, knife making, knives, made, make, making, newbie, post, steel, tools