View Single Post
Old 03-31-2020, 02:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmontg View Post
When you quench in oil did you shove them in edge first and only move them up and down, no sideways motion? Prevents some of the warping.
How far did you grind them before heat treat? Grind no more than 90%, leave a mm of edge on the blade.
Did you use a flash when you took the pictures, too many reflections? They all look like the grain is too big, but the 1st one definitely is. Proper grain should look like grey velvet.
Proper heat for this steel is 1545 to 1615. Heat to 1200 let soak for ten to 15 minutes then ramp up to 1570 for 5 minutes then quench in your hot oil. Be quick from oven to oil.
Temper at 400 to 430 F for two hours two times.
When doing the initial grind did you keep the metal from getting too hot? I always keep quenching it because if you grind a hot spot (turn it colors) it tends to warp there.
I think I might have move the blades sideways. Will cut the oil next time.

The reflections are from the Led-light that is integrated into the microscope. It turned it down as far as possible. Any more and the picture was to dark (it’s a $25 thingie from Ebay)

I quench every grind, so no hot spots but good to know they can cause warping.

My oven will need quite some time to get from 1200 to 1570, is it ok to leave the blade in there for 1 hour or so, as long as I stay below the 1545°?