View Single Post
Old 09-23-2017, 01:53 AM
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmontg View Post
I never had a problem with a bad thermo-couple, or temp measurement tool, BUT it happens. You can order a Tempil Stick up to the temperature you require. They sell them up to 1800, but you can order a special temperature stick for your target temp. I have used these sticks and they are quite accurate if you want to save some money. They last a long time, just a touch is all they take, if it melts you are there. Order a stick 50 degrees above your target temp and if it doesn't melt you are in the range you need.

http://www.markingpendepot.com/tempi...ormarkers.aspx
I can't call it a bad thermocouple, it PS not like it didn't work. Only issue is it was only rated to 1200f, pretty sure that 500 degrees out of range was just too much to even think about getting an accurate read, least not for me to trust it. Had I not had my kiln on for 3 hours without it budging a degree after 1745 I'd be less leery, but I'm pretty sure it just stopped reading.

Nice tip on the tempil stick, though it wouldn't work for me here. Trying to get up to 1950-75, looks like those sticks max out at 1800. Work comes to worse I can drop some copper in there, if that melts its hot enough!