View Single Post
Old 09-21-2017, 02:26 AM
Enthusiast

Quick update, turns out ill be able to skip trying the oil quench. I made the mistake of using the knife supply places prices for quench plates ($50 for a set), and was thinking i wouldnt have the cash for a bit. Quick trip to my local metal supply and i picked up a 1"x2"x18" bar of aluminium, cut it in half and face milled one side of each plate for a nice flat surface, all for the princely price of $15. Think i need to start selling these myself...

Did decide to do a quick test of my heat treatment kiln, just to make sure id be able to hit that 1975f temperature. I knew i should be able to, when i built my kiln i took it up to 2100f just to see if i could, just wanted to make sure that the elements werent getting worn. Went pretty well, up until the temps hit 1750 and then just stuck there for 2 hours. Seemed a little weird to me, given that the inside was glowing bright yellow. Then i remembered that my 1200c thermocouple burnt out a few months ago and i had to drop in one that was rated to 800c.

Yeah, whoopsie. Think i may have melted the thermocouple... Either that or my kiln is 200f short of where i need it to be. Off to order a new thermocouple!