Thread: Which flag
View Single Post
Old 07-25-2011, 04:17 PM
Enthusiast

I have a bit of experience with this. Sounds really close to what you told Drac. I was also in the Navy for six years, during the Croatia/Bosnia former Yugoslavia conflicts and the start of the Afghan/Iraq campaigns. So a touch after you. My grandfather also passed from complications due to alztimers after suffering for more then ten years. He was also an Army vet from WWII, and we received his flag from the VA as well. What I did for his flag was put it in a tri-corner box, mounted to a rectangle box that has his uniform jacket, ribbons, and metals mounted on it (also has the chunk of metal that the Germans gave to him). It sits at my parents house, along with the same set up for my other Grandfather (passed much earlier, barely remember him) also an Army vet of WWII. My father's, uncle's, brother's, sister-in-law's and mine are also there, but lack flags in the tri-corners. Just my opinion, but the flag that flew on your ship may have more history to gather before being boxed away. The Navy flag I always carried with me where ever Uncle Sam saw fit to send me will be in my box when I am gone. Until then, I try to send it along on deployments with people I know. It always comes back with that person. Just my thoughts, from one Vet to another.

-Geoff