View Single Post
Old 08-30-2020, 12:50 AM

Thanks, Texas Jack, I'd like to get back here. What's odd is that several times I just wanted to drop by and say "hey" but searches on several search engines showed no trace of TKN, with the exceptions of some single ancient posts, but there was never a way to get to TKN. There were a dozen different knife forums listed, but no TKN. I just figured it bit the dust. Todd Hill from the old NT tribe out in Arizona where Tai is , gave me a link to the site, and wow"!!! Here it was. It doesn't explain why it is not on any search engines. But I was sure glad to see it was still up.

I think I'm going to start posting again fairly regularly and see if anyone wants to join in. The Neo-Tribal movement was an interesting one. In a lot of ways it changed the way of knifesmithing in the country. That's not to say that it didn't have its faults, but it opened the door for a lot of people to get excited about the craft and with a much less restrictive approach than the ABS. And, I'm not knocking the ABS; I'm proud of many of my friends who have demonstrated great talent in becoming Journeymen and Master Smiths. My hats off to them. I think both groups had high quality as the end goal, it's that the NT folks were more fun and less business. Unfortunately the NT movement with all its new smiths and the fact that we mostly used more primitive (muscle powered) techniques, and scavenged raw materials, we became synonymous with low quality. And that's a real shame, because some incredible work came from NT smiths and makers, and there's some quite artistic and functional pieces coming from some of those newbies of yesteryear today.

But thanks again for the welcome. Much appreciated. If there are any of you out there reading this, the Outpost still works, and all are welcome, because after all, a good knife is a good knife, no matter how it got here. Amen!