View Single Post
Old 08-06-2017, 08:23 AM
Super Moderator

Send a message via AIM to Ed Caffrey Send a message via Yahoo to Ed Caffrey
You mentioned "non-magnetic"....first thought is that you're not hot enough when quenching.... generally critical is 150-200F above "non-magnetic". You also mentioned "oil", but didn't say specifically what the oil is.

Remember that the steel must be AT LEAST critical temp when it hits the oil.... I say that because lately I have had several individuals who've contacted me with similar issues.... and I discovered that their quench tank(s) was 10+ feet away from their heat source when quenching.... very likely they were way under critical by the time they got a blade into the quench.

Also, don't discount the impact of a blade's geometry when it comes to sharpening/cutting..... if the primary/secondary bevels are obtuse, both ease of sharpening, and cutting performance will suffer.

Tempering temps can't be nailed down to a specific temp just based on a steel type. It requires some experimenting for the given steel, with the given grind, and even the specific type of edge geometry applied.

Caffreyknives@gmail.com

"Every CHOICE has a CONSEQUENCE, and all your CONSEQUENCES are a result of your CHOICES."