Thread: What SS foil
View Single Post
Old 03-16-2017, 09:13 AM
Guru

When you get the foil just get the kind that you can find with the highest temp rating,...I forget mine is either 2200 or 2400 deg. You should also get some brownells anti scale coating, The way I do it is I will only use the foil if I am using plates to quench (usaknifemaker sells the plates get the biggest you can afford the bigger they are the more heat they suck out of the steel) If I am going to quench in oil I don't use the foil. Some guys rig a basket in the oil so you pull the knife (in the foil packet) out and really quickly cut the packet open and let the blade fall into the basket in the oil. I don't like that its a lot of fiddling around getting the steel from oven to oil. you want to do that super fast. So instead I use the brownells antiscale coating (you just paint it on the blade) so I pull it out and right to the oil no messing around trying to get the steel out of the packet. Also I did get your message and will answer today on how I do s35vn and with that yes you can use the foil and plate quench it but it comes out MUCH MUCH better if you do a combination of oil and air wich you would want to use the brownells coating for.