View Single Post
Old 10-08-2017, 02:29 AM
Guru

Dave I don't make a convex edge, I do make some knives with a convex grind. Whether it's stainless or not a regular flat grind edge shouldn't be chippy if the HT is good. Those S35VN knives you sent me were not chippy and I put a flat grind edge on them. As I sharpen by hand the edge may get a little convex, but it is so short of a distance it would be hard to notice. A convex grind is good for wood carvers, axes and larger knives and I mean a convex grind with a straight grind edge. I have made a few knives with a convex grind and I found out that a convex grind is good for a filet knife too as long as it isn't too thick, which most filet knives aren't. If you hone the edge with a leather belt and rouge on it it will make the edge a little convex, but if you want a convex edge use an 600 grit belt and then hit it lightly with a fine stone. Run the stone into the edge, not away and you will not create a burr. Believe it or not, but a finely honed knife isn't good for most cutting chores as it doesn't have micro teeth. And a convex edge wouldn't slice through paper very well either I would think.