View Single Post
Old 10-18-2012, 04:56 PM
Skilled

Thanks for all the help everyone. This Forum is so full of useful information from experienced individuals in all areas, not just knife making. I already made the motor purchase, and nearly every experienced knife maker here on the Forum advises anyone looking into a grinder to just suck it up and get a 2X72 because you will soon regret it shortly thereafter if you do not.

After all this research, member's comments and advise I am thinking about just getting a KMG-8 at $920 + shipping. The Coote w/ 8" wheel is $506 + shipping. Both require step pulleys at additional cost. And I don't believe the Coote has all the features of the KMG. And I believe the Coote's configuration is not designed to be changed (i.e. contact wheel diameter), or may limit some features if done.

$416 does seem like a lot, but I have easily wasted that much money or more away many times in the past. That was much of my Marine Corps drinking life. In my post-Jimmy Carter days in the Marine Corps we Marines always got the Army's leftovers. We made the most with what we had. We made things work that probably shouldn't have. So, when we finally acquired new toys and equipment in the 80's and 90's we appreciated what a quality piece of gear was.

Therefore, I know i would be disgruntled with a lesser piece of gear pretty quick. That Coote sure looks nice, but that KMG looks even nicer! I was sold watching the 2 demo videos on the Beaumont Metal Works site. I am 100% sold, but have yet told the wife, and that may change things. But then again, maybe I could just omit the $416 difference. Well see...

Tony Z.