View Single Post
Old 10-16-2012, 09:00 AM
Skilled

Wife Approved A New Grinder, but...

Hello, I am a newbie, my intro is below. But last night my wife approved the purchase of a new belt grinder to start off in my long anticipated knife making venture, but we are limited $800 max. We are rebuilding a major part of our house slowly when we have the time and money, about 2-3 years. No room beyond $800. No negotiating. I was lucky to get that.

I had planned on the Kalamazoo 1SM 1" x 42" with the Horizontal Finishing Attachment II and the Swing Plate Assembly. About $515 shipped. But everybody here always recommends a 2" x 72". I found the Kalamazoo 2FS72M 2" x 72" as the only affordable 2" x 72" that was in my range. I have researched the Coote and others, build it yourself but I have no time or desire to figure everything out and build my own.

I really should want a variable speed 2" x 72". But those are $2600+. Will have to wait. But, I have read where you can mount step pulleys to grinders and make them 2-3 different speeds. That sounds like an option I can do in the future. I am also in the process of making a gas forge and looking for an anvil. I really want to forge my own blades and go that route. I really want to make big fighters/ military knives with convex grinds. So, my question is which of those 2 grinders should I get? Can I install step pulleys on either of these in the future? Thanks in advance, you guys are so knowledgeable and willing to help.

I am a professional meat cutter by trade for a large corporation. I did 12 years in the USMC. Gulf War veteran. VFW member. Bad knife collector since I use all my knives. Love anything convex or Scagel style. Like large Bowie, camp knives and fighters. Married, no kids. Wife said she will divorce me if I get rid of the Harley (Electra Glide). Also love guns and lifting weights. Born Canadian and now reside in Kansas City, Missouri. Semper Fi.