Thread: Hardness Tester
View Single Post
Old 03-10-2017, 04:38 PM
Guru

Irish it is also a matter of how many knives are you going to make? I at most may make 8-10 in a month, (sent a batch to Peters HT recently, high amount for me), but typically I'm a hobbyist so if I was to spend $600 for something, it probably wouldn't be a hardness tester. My friend Dtec got a nice tester that Ray Rogers recommended for around $600 I think, ask them. Now, let's say if I were Mr. Garrett I would make some scratchers for my forged and Hamon blades just to get a better idea of how close I was, but Mr. Garrett is a master and has a fair idea already I'm sure.LOL

It's like if you're going to make a lot of knives buying a dewar for liquid nitrogen is a good investment, but they are expensive. This hobby can be kept down to a fairly low price and you can still make very nice knives, but for the best of the best you will spend money, there is just no getting around it past a certain point, but it isn't necessary.

There is also the "I want to make the best possible knife I can and though I won't make a profit I still want to do it" attitude and there isn't anything wrong with that. It's how I feel. Nice to make some money for sure, but on some knives I was just making the best I could and when I sold them I made about $3-4 an hour.

First knives I ever made were like that.