View Single Post
Old 08-22-2005, 12:09 PM
Skilled

Moose,
I know that Ron can "chirp" in on this with more informaton, but to anyone who would like to know the history of the Model #4 "Big game, and skinner", they would need to go back to the big one...WW11. Bo was getting many more calls for his fighters than than he was for his hunters. The "hunter" back then, as best I can tell, was a bit more complicated and time consuming to make than the fighters. A look at some of Bo's early work can make this fairly evident, especially with "fancy" handles, as Bo called them. Multi layered spacers, a heavier hilt, etc. made these gorgeous blades more of a "back burner" project.
The simple solution to this problem was to re-design the "hunter" to fit the mold of the "fighters" and "stilettos"! Bo did this towards the end of 1943, or so, and sportsmen could obtain a hunter with handle, hilt, and butt caps similar to the fighters. This idea did not slow down the flow of production. (I hate to use that word, "production", when it comes to Randalls). All of these new ideas are still utilized today. The brass single hilt used on a hunting knife is within specifications of the double one used on fighting knives. Great idea that has stood the test of time.
The first Model #4's, although I don't think they were numbered "4" were available with longer blades. I believe that 6 and 7" were the norm. I know that the old 1945 catalog lists Model #4's available with a 7" "only" blade, but I'm sure there were some variances in this, although I do not remember seeing any "small" model #4's until later. Boblade: Help us out here! Did I not hear you talking about slightly smaller blades? 6", or 6 1/2"?
At any rate: perhaps that is why Model #4's are known, or were known, as "BIG" game skinners. Over the years that has changed and you can now order Model #4's in 5", 6", or 7" blades of 1/4" stock. You can also order a 4 1/2" Model #4 with 3/16" stock, as well as a 6" model, out of 1/4" stock with a #6 grind, although that knife is only available in carbon steel. Hope this gets this thread off to a good start. I also hope that we hear from "Boblade" to make some sense of all this rambling. I have emailed a pic of a 5" model, which should get posted later on. Best for now, Captain Chris Stanaback